charlotte, nc

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

straycat

Reaction score
longtime transplant from the north east (rochester, ny). moved down for grad school in 94 and ended up staying. been brewing on and off since 96 and have been on a nice run brewing 1x per month (not bad for me with 2 young ones). not sure why, but way back in 95 i thought "i wonder if i can make beer" and went to local bookstore and bought beer for dummies. not a great book but it got me interested enough to get involved. just wanted to say hello to all the other brewers out there. peace~!

Welcome.

Just like the rest of Charlotte, I'm a transplant as well -- originally from Pittsburgh.

Welcome.

Just like the rest of Charlotte, I'm a transplant as well -- originally from Pittsburgh.

Agreed! Almost hard to find a native these days!

BTW...Go Stillers! (My wife's born/raised in the S. Hills, and although originally from NJ, I lived in Brighton Heights for 3 years, and I've been a fan since I was a kid in the late 70s...)

I suppose I should also add a general post on this thread too...I never did put up anything in this section of the forum when I started posting a couple weeks ago, and being that I'm also in the Charlotte area....

I've been brewing for about 3 1/2 years (started just after I moved to Charlotte from Pgh and finally had some extra space), but had been a beer geek and very interested in brewing for much longer...actually had a basic setup for over a year before I actually used it!

My first brew was actually a gallon of mead, followed a couple days later by an ESB....I've moved on to partial mash and about 15-20 gal of mead a year, and someday very soon I'll take the plunge and go all-grain...researching mash tun designs now!

any of you guys belong to the carolina brewmasters or attend any mtgs? i'm not doing any partial mashing etc...still stuck on the DME extract kits from alt beverage. no complaints by any means, they all have resulted in great beer. living up close the university area. later.

any of you guys belong to the carolina brewmasters or attend any mtgs? i'm not doing any partial mashing etc...still stuck on the DME extract kits from alt beverage. no complaints by any means, they all have resulted in great beer. living up close the university area. later.

I have not yet joined or even been to a CBM meeting...I've got a crazy schedule and some young kids to boot, so it never seems to work out.

The Alt Bev kits are great...they got me started... FWIW though, its not much of a stretch to go from extract plus specialty grains to partial mash...you really don't need a mash tun...I do it with a BIAB (brew in a bag) technique in my kettle. The temps aren't perfect, and its definitely easier when the ambient temp is hot, but it works OK and you get some conversion.

I haven't joined the club since my work/family schedule never aligns well with their schedule and now that I have a daughter, she's going to take up alot of my time. However, I'm on their email list through yahoo groups.

I'm a partial mash brewer and typically purchase AHS kits and buy the yeast and my beer equipment at AB.

Back