Charlie Bamforth is in my head... Cold storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J187

Reaction score
Hearing Charlie Bamforth talk about how when it comes to storing finished beer, every 10 deg C that the temp rises, your beer ages twice as fast really has me thinking. He was saying something along the lines of flavor stability being preserved best really low like 40 deg F and everything 10 deg C over that halves it's shelf life. I usually store my beer in a closet. I'm sure the temps in the summer can get decently warm in there. He's got me wanting to ensure that I have room in whatever fermentation chamber I go with next - chest freezer probably - to store not only two fermenting buckets but also a few boxes of finished bottles. Am I overreacting?

Mostly, IMO. In my experience, I usually drink my beer soon enough that it won't make a difference. Unless you've got some beer that really has to be fresh - like IPA, APA, Whatnot, it's probably not going to matter too much. I drink most of my stash within about a month or two of packaging. 80% in kegs, but stuff I'd like to age more gets bottled. And at that point, I don't worry too much about it. That was the point of bottling it - so it can age.

I heard someone on Brewing Network saying it probably takes months for your average belgian beer from when they ship, to when it gets on the market. On a hot ship.

Drink fresh beer fresh, and aged beer aged.

Back