Charcoal/Sulfur aroma.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BattleToads

Reaction score
I brew basic cider. I just add sugar to apple juice to increase the gravity, then pitch the yeast. As the cider gets stronger, it begins to smell more and more sulfurous. There seems to be a direct correlation between alcohol content, and how strong the sulfur smell is. It also comes through in the taste.

I tend to let the stuff ferment for only 3-4 days, then stick it in the fridge for a few hours to get rid of some of the yeast. I've heard that yeast tend to produce most of their alcohol during this time period and will "clean up" after themselves if you let it sit longer.

Could this off-flavor be eliminated by simply allowing the cider to sit and clear longer, or is there something else I'm missing?

Do a search for Rhino Farts. They are really nasty but there are steps to prevent them and steps to clear them up when they happen. The simplest way to prevent them is low temp fermentation and nutrients. Always add the recommended dose of yeast nutrient before beginning the fermentation. And if swmbo has a sensitive nose, and you wish to avoid getting strangled to death with your own scrotum, you can stagger adding more throughout the fermentation. But make sure to stop adding before fermentation finishes.

Adding nutrient in the beginning as well as staggering nutrient additions, should eliminate the sulfur issues during fermentation.

Latest posts

Back