Characteristics of different hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

osoling

Reaction score
Here's a question. Can anyone list or point me to a list of what each type of hops or grain is like? Do different ones do different things? Educate me.

This might be a big question. Maybe I'm not even asking it right. Thanks for responding.

O

BYO has some pretty good charts for grains, hops, and yeast in the resource guide section. Sorted by beer style or country.

I'm just a newbie so I don't have a lot of ground to stand on but from everything I've been reading, this is a huge concept. For starters, malts can be roasted and mashed differently, adding more/less sugars and other fermentables and twisting flavors. As for hops, depending on alpha levels (how much kick it can give) and when you put them in your boil, it can significantly alter flavors, aromas, and overall bitterness.

I've read "the complete homebrew beer book" and there are some good tables inside that tell you what beers and styles certain hops and malts are typically used in.

Meanwhile, I'm taking the mantra that I will learn each as I go. Trial by error and find ones I like. To add yet another twist, I think different yeasts can provide different flavors and finishes of beers. I'm not positive on this though. Good luck with figuring out each one.

The BYO resource guide for the malts is decent. For hops I only go by Bear-Flavored's Guide here. It's the most complete guide I've found.

Look up at the banner at the top of this post. See the 'wiki'. Click on that. There's some good info. including charts about the different malts and different hops. It's a good place to start.

Here is what I mainly refer to:
http://www.homebrewstuff.com/hop-profiles

Certains varieties (newer) aren't present in the list, however.

I don't believe there exists a complete source, therefore typing "<insert hop variety here>+hop+profile" on Google will usually get you the information you are looking for. It is always preferable to cross-reference multiple sources as everyone's pallate is different.

Cheers.

Yeah,everyones perception of flavor & aroma are different,but the ones I listed are also from the sources they're obtained from. so scanning all of them should give a good overall view.

The BYO resource guide for the malts is decent. For hops I only go by Bear-Flavored's Guide here. It's the most complete guide I've found.

I second this guide. Great resource.

I would also recommend using your research and compiling a chart with your own detailed thoughts on hop aroma / flavor profiles. A lot of times you run into descriptors like "General 'Hoppy' Aroma" or "Pleasant hop flavor", which really do not help.

Back