Chaptilization

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CandleWineProject

Reaction score
I processed some peaches in the fall and put them in the freezer, and then I set them out to thaw two days ago. They are thawed ready to be put in a bucket and start fermenting today. Problem is, chaptilization has been a thorn in my side. I've heard different quantities per volume to raise the SG/Brix/ABV. But the real problem is that I really have no idea what the volume is until I remove the fruit in a week. Chaptilization is doable then, but more math, and I'm paranoid that these peaches might be below 1.030 SG to begin with and need to get them up.

Any advice?

I processed some peaches in the fall and put them in the freezer, and then I set them out to thaw two days ago. They are thawed ready to be put in a bucket and start fermenting today. Problem is, chaptilization has been a thorn in my side. I've heard different quantities per volume to raise the SG/Brix/ABV. But the real problem is that I really have no idea what the volume is until I remove the fruit in a week. Chaptilization is doable then, but more math, and I'm paranoid that these peaches might be below 1.030 SG to begin with and need to get them up.

Any advice?

I usually just make the must, and take the SG and then adjust. True, it's hard to guess the precise volume but I lift out the fruit bag and eyeball it. It's not all that precise, I guess, but it's usually within a quart or so and I just go a wee bit higher with the OG.

Back