Champaign yeast in an ESB?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newton

Reaction score
After 2 weeks in primary, my S-04 has appeared to have crapped out at 1.018 FG. I mashed at 151 for 90 minutes with an OG of 1.052 with the target FG at 1.012 to 1.010. The fermentation temp was 68.

The beer at this point tastes pretty darn sweet and I don't want to bottle it yet. I was thinking of pitching some more yeast, maybe S-05, maybe champaign. What do you think?

Champagne yeast won't be able to metabolize the longer sugars well. Chances are good the beer yeast ate all of the simple sugars already. Champagne yeast is used when bottling high-gravity beers because it's alcohol tolerant, and will eat the simple sugar for priming, leaving the longer-chain sugars alone.

I would try rousing the yeast first, if you haven't already. Swirl the fermenter around to get the yeast back in suspension. If that doesn't work, add more yeast, but I'd use US-5 or more S-04 instead of Champagne yeast.

Get that stubborn english yeast back in suspension and warm it up to 70-72 degrees. So long as you leave the airlock in place on cover on the beer you can shake it all you want...there shouldn't be any oxygen in there.

however, 1.018 for a FG on an ESB sounds tasty to me.....

Yeah 1.018 may be a couple points high for an ESB but that's what you get when you use English ale yeasts. Personally I love them for this reason.

Back