Chalk additions post fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simontja

Reaction score
Hey.

I made a batch of imperial stout, but sadly my cheap 8$ chinese pH meter was broken. The stout is slightly acrid, with a notice blackcurrant like acidity and more roasty than it was previous times I brewed, letting me believe that the pH was off, which is highly believable with such a thick mash (0.35kg/1l). I'm now wondering if it's possible to add chalk post fermentation? I know this is common practice in wine, but does anyone have experience of such a procedure?

I've never adjusted pH after fermentation. My gut says it probably won't make much, if any, difference. However, the water chemistry gurus in the Brew Science forum will almost certainly tell you not to use chalk. It isn't appropriate for pH adjustment unless you use a fairly complex process. Pickling lime is a better alternative.

That said, you should really check in the Brew Science forum and see what they say about pH after fermentation.

Back