CFC tricks?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AmandaK

Reaction score
Hey guys, I used my counter flow chiller for the first time yesterday and failed epicly.

I use whole hops and used to have a bazooka screen in my kettle. Long story short, the whole hops clogged the chiller. Will that bazooka screen in the kettle stop the clogging or will the whole hops just clog on the screen itself?

I'm trying to figure this out before I do my next batch.

Thanks!
Amanda

i used to use a bazooka in my kettle and I brewed exclusively with whole hops at the time. The bazooka was not clogged by the whole hops and they actually formed a nice filter bed for break material when I transferred out of the kettle to the fermenter.

Now... pellet hops on the other hand, clogged the hell out of the bazooka screen.

So just to make sure- you didn't have the bazooka screen on, right?

Yes, the bazooka should help a lot. Also you might try to use hop bags to reduce the material that could cause a clog again. Be sure to clean out the CFC really well too!

Yeah, I took the bazooka screen out because I was using pellet hops for a while.

Thanks for your help guys! I'm looking forward to actually using this thing. My IC was terrible.

Latest posts

Back