cereal adjuncts, barley and thrashing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stegnest

Reaction score
morning all, 3 questions if i may..

where do you lob the adjuncts into the process, in the mash or the boil. the books i have are both silent on the subject but one suggests that any sugars go in the boil halfway through.

Next up whats all this 2 and 3 row barley malarcky and what is the practical upshot ?

just one more.........

I have read that 2 days into fermentation that the head is skimmed and the whole works given a good sound thrashing to re aereate it.. sounds a bit dodgy to me,( certainly not PC) anyone else do that.? To be fair never have much trouble with fermenting, I pitch a hefty yeast starter but just wondered if it would affect flavour or speed.

would be most grateful for the benefit of your knowledge, wit and wisdom please.

cheers. stegnest

Adding the sugers half way through the boil will help the sugers from not carmelizing and changing the taste that you are trying to get.

The difference between 2-row and 6-row barley is that 6-row has more ensemes (sp?) than 2-row but allows has more proten than 2-row. So 6-row allows you to use more adjucts that don't have the ensemes to change the starches to sugers.

Skiming the Kausen off the top allows you to get some of the extra junk that made it into the fermenter. Now the shaking should get the yeast activty a nice bump. But you could have some problem with off flavors.

Adjuncts like rice and flaked corn are added during the mash to convert their starches to sugar.
Sugars like honey, maple syrup, corn sugar, candy sugar, etc... are added to the boil.

Don't add the grains to the boil. . . will gum the entire works and create one hell of a haze (I'd think--never done this). Add to the mash. Sugars can go in the boil.

I think skimming krauesen and shaking the fermenter is, to use your term, malarcky. I think opening a fermenter for any reason is unwise, and you don't exactly see pro breweries picking up their 10 barrel fermenter and giving it a good shaking. If they don't do it, why should I?? There is enough active yeast in suspension at any one point to keep fermentation going if there are fermentables handy.

Never had any problems just letting it sit and letting the yeast do its magic.

Prost

:mug:

Back