Central PA New Guy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlh42581

Reaction score
Just thought I should probably stop and say hi!

I have no brewing mentors and have recently gotten into brewing wine after making my first batch last fall of welches right in the welches bottle. I decided that the time to do it right had come and I am building my setup all the time.

Currently limited to a 7.5 primary drilled bucket, 1 5gallon better bottle, 3 gallon carboys and 2 1/2gal old glass milk bottles I am using for brewing. I intend to add at least another 10 1 gallon carboys into my setup for bulk storage in the near future.

I want to have a full setup but right now am limited a little by living in an apartment.

In my other spare time I love to shoot archery, competitive bass fish as well as hunt whitetails.

The information I kept looking for kept bringing me to this forum so I decided I would join.

Eventually I can see myself starting to brew beer as well but for the moment I am focused on the wines and experimenting with different ingredients and different yeasts.

My goal once we buy a house is to have enough home made products on tap to satisfy any company we may entertain from girly girls who like overly sweet booze to guys who like dark beer.

:tank:

Hi there! I'm new too. Gonna do my own introduction thread, but since you were from central PA, I thought I'd say hello. I'm from Williamsport! Just getting into this.
Great forum here!

welcome guys fron south central pa. A lot of great info here.

Hi there! I'm new too. Gonna do my own introduction thread, but since you were from central PA, I thought I'd say hello. I'm from Williamsport! Just getting into this.
Great forum here!

I attended Penn College for a little while before going to another university to finish.

I agree, lots of information!

Welcome to brewing, it does become quite addictive so be careful! I have been at it for two years now. I am from Pittsburgh and visit your area frequently to fish Spring Creek which may go through your back yard?! We have a trip planned for Oct 13th and 14th so hoping for good fishing conditions at that point. Did you attend the State College Brew Fest in August? We had a great time there! Dave

I didnt go to brewfest. However, I grew up right on spring creek, my mother lives streamside in fishermans paradise. It actually took me into becoming a sponsored fly fisherman and a paid guide. I no longer guide and dont fly fish as much as I used too however if you ever have any questions on spring I can help you for sure.

I will say this, the sowbug is the #1 pattern on spring creek. I was just down there this morning for coffee, stream is at its normal fall level.

If you want, I can give you an update closer to time, drop me an email... same username at gmail.com

Thanks man, appreciate your help! Is the house your grandmother lives in the one that sits by itself on the other side of the stream??? Yes, VERY familiar with Flyfishers paradise and their website! I have been buying most of my stuff from them for over 20 years I would guess. Best service and selection of tying material hands down. I even tied for them a couple years back in my younger days! If you still see Steve, tell him I said hi. (May name is Dave Hathazy) I'll check in with you closer to the 13 for the conditions. Oh, and sow bug yeah! I use Steve's simple pattern he refers to as a muskrat nymph haha!

Its my mother who lives down there. She lives on the side of all the other houses. If you come into the paradise and take a right headed to BF she lives on the right side, 3 houses from the intersection. My bass boat sits in her driveway.

My sowbug for spring is nothing more that dubbing in a ball on the hook. Being that I now live in an apartment she has my fly tying desk. I used to tie thousands of flies and I bet you I havent sat down to tie at that desk more than twice in the last year. Something about all that work being a pro just killed it for me. That and I now have a 1.5 year old son that eats up a lot of my free time. Some day he will be into it and then I will likely do it much more. Then again, if he enjoys bass half as much as I do it may still stay to the side.

I have a lot of expensive hobbies and I have been getting better at focusing on specific ones. It is a shame to have $10K in fly tying stuff just sitting there doing nothing. However, I have been thinking about ways that I can integrate fly tying into a drop shot technique for bass. If you fish steelhead let me know and Ill give you the row pattern i invented, its all beads.

Back