Central MA/Central CT Group grain buy ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the last of the grain was picked up today. It was great meeting you all that came by to pick up. If we do this again at some point in the future I would be more than happy to offer up my work as a delivery site once again.

xerotime said:
the last of the grain was picked up today. It was great meeting you all that came by to pick up. If we do this again at some point in the future I would be more than happy to offer up my work as a delivery site once again.

If you all do this again please check back on this thread for people. I for one wouldnt want to miss the next buy.

The horse is in the barn - I repeat - the horse is in the barn.

Thanks to Kyle for spearheading this buy and dropping off my precious cargo this AM.

I just finished dividing it into 5g buckets and galvanized trash cans. I'm sure my wife is going to love finding the 5g pails stashed in closets throughout the house.

As Charlie Sheen says "Wow! Everybody’s winning. Boom!"

Just picked mine up from RIT_Warrior! Thanks for making the transfer, Matt, and thanks to Kyle for organizing.

Vienna Lager, coming up!

No problem, jaginger.

Yeah thanks for everyone who helped make this happen, I can't wait to start brewing everything up.

I also just got my semi-bulk hop shipment in as well, so I have enough base grains/specialty grains/hops/yeast to make a whole bunch of batches.

How long until another order? I was out of town and unable to join in!!! Ugggh!!

I would be up for

1#pellets Each Amarillo, Centennial, Magnum, Hallertau tradition(ger), Kent Goldings(uk)

Bags
2 - Best Malz Pis
1 - Best Malz Dark Munich
1 - Best Malz Smoked
2 - Fawcett Optic

Bill

Back in town in Groton but willing to drive to collect an order... I have no business to accept the order at... last time I did this it was delivered to a shipping wharehouse near Hartford.

How long until another order? I was out of town and unable to join in!!! Ugggh!!

I would be up for

1#pellets Each Amarillo, Centennial, Magnum, Hallertau tradition(ger), Kent Goldings(uk)

Bags
2 - Best Malz Pis
1 - Best Malz Dark Munich
1 - Best Malz Smoked
2 - Fawcett Optic

Bill

Back in town in Groton but willing to drive to collect an order... I have no business to accept the order at... last time I did this it was delivered to a shipping wharehouse near Hartford.

I don't know how soon anyone will be up for another group buy but if you need Amarillo you may want to try and grab some now anywhere you can find them because they are going to be damn near impossible to find until the fall (same with Simcoe)

I wish I had been in on that order myself... Damn me for being inactive. If anyone hears of another round, I am in the naugatuck valley area. PM me!!

For those of you in Eastern Massachusetts, the Boston Wort Processors http://www.wort.org is a great way to meet local homebrewers of all levels (and maybe meet some pro brewers, too!) There are grain buys made through the club 3-4 times per year and regular meetings, a library, some common equipment, a yeast bank, and a running email conversation with some interesting topics and notices (and some not so interesting!)

I might be ready for some more grain in 6-9 months... By then I better be living someplace where I don't have a masshole for a LL and can brew in my own place again. I have just over 3 sacks left, as of this morning. Of course, one brew on the books will use almost half of a sack by itself. :D I do hope to be able to start that fairly soon.

I do think we really should plan this as at least a once a year deal. If we can do it more often, great. But look at how long it took to get enough people to get up to 42 sacks the first time. :eek:

As for the wort processors club... I looked into that earlier... Without knowing more about it, I'd be hard pressed to pay membership fees to something that I don't see more benefit from. Without knowing where they meet and such (couldn't find the info on the site) it's going to be a hard sale to get me to join up...

hmmm...for starters, the whopping $25 per year gives you access to all the things I noted above. Meetings happen at the homes of members. Good people. This is a homebrew club and not an Elks lodge: no rent, no grand pubah, just people who get together and brew and exchange ideas and information in the Boston area. I think the dues are worth it just for the bulk grain/hops/cleansers buys, but that should not be the only reason a person should join (IMO.) I have met some great people through the club from all walks of life - like all brewers, everyone of them is curious and generous. No pressure, but just wanted to note that homebrew clubs are of, for, and by the members (you get out what you put in and the dues are pretty minimal.)

One of the issues, for me, is not knowing WHERE they meet... Chances of me driving into Boston if I'm not actually getting paid to do it: slim to nil... Chances of me using public transport: less than nil...

I did see a while back there was a push for people to renew their dues. If that's only done once a year, then if they don't pro-rate new members not joining at that time (don't see that posted anywhere) then I would be less inclined to join. It's the little things that nag on you the most, it seems)... As I said, I'm not saying they don't do these things, or have the info posted, it's just not something I found in the few minutes I looked on their site. Didn't see it listed in the categories available. There are broken links, or links to pages that don't exist too. Granted, that's probably nit-picking, but it would be nice to have at least working links on the site. Maybe it's partially due to being in the IT field, or having my own web site that I maintain. Even if you have a generic "under construction" page or "temporarily unavailable" for those non-functioning links, it's better than a bad link. To me, and I'm only talking about myself here, it goes towards the commitment of the people updating the site. Granted, it's not their full time job, but neither have any of the sites I've had over the years.

I would want to go to at least one actual meeting before deciding to join or not. I'm not going to say I won't join, or that it's not worth joining, until I've actually attended a meeting. Maybe even more than one, so that I get a better idea of the people and what they do. That said, they don't make it easy to find out where they'll be meeting...

Bairds 2-row was onsale at Homebrew emporium today in West Boyleston. I think it may have been a march special. Check it out for anyone who missed the deal.

I'm also interested in a group buy, as I missed the one last month. Are people mostly looking to groupbuy grain or DME or both?

The Wort Processors' site has (believe it or not) actually come a long way. I know its still in the midst of being reconstructed but prior to this site it was for all intents and purposes something a highschooler built on freewebs or geocities in the early 90s, it was BAD.

That being said I do want to join them, it seems like there are a lot of members and it would be really cool meeting other brewers in the area.

Now, to just figure out how to join...

I'm holding off on joining any home brew clubs until I know where I'll be working, and moving to. I could be shifting into NH in the next couple of months, so joining a Boston based club wouldn't make sense. At least not right now.

I'm holding off on joining any home brew clubs until I know where I'll be working, and moving to. I could be shifting into NH in the next couple of months, so joining a Boston based club wouldn't make sense. At least not right now.

There is also the WIZARDS that meet in Shrewsbury the 3rd Tuesday of every month (7:30pm) at Deja Brew on RT-9

There is also the WIZARDS that meet in Shrewsbury the 3rd Tuesday of every month (7:30pm) at Deja Brew on RT-9

With any luck, I'll be working in Portsmouth, NH within the next few weeks (moving up to that area within a few months from then)... So going to Shrewsbury won't be viable... Going towards Boston will be avoided... I might look at the group in the Merrimack Valley, since that could be a good one... Also plan to look for some closer to Portsmouth (obviously)...

The Merrimack Valley club is small but great! Good monthly meetings and events with really good people.

Any chance of another buy coming together? It looked like a few people were interested.... I know I would be in for 4 bags at least...

If we can get one together towards the fall (around October/November) I should be ready for some more grain. Hopefully, I'll have moved by then (doesn't look like it will be into NH though) and won't be having to deal with the current *******/neurotic LL anymore.

I'm from ledyard, ct. I will probably be interested in something depending on where/when the order is. Just posting here so i don't loose this thread. I have a truck so I could pick up bags for people who are local to me (within 20minutes or so). But it all depends on how quick i can try out biab and get more gear, and when the order is placed.

Maybe we should start a new thread for this... I'd love for another buy to happen, but I don't have an account with NCM or a business to get it delivered to.

Well, it turns out that my homebrew club is going to put together our own group buy from North Country Malt.

We will probably need people to help fill out the pallet.

Once I get more details I'll start a new thread. I'll try to remember to post a link here.

We're a little northwest of Hartford. I'm working on a delivery location. Hopefully, we can find a location with a loading dock, so we won't have to pay for a liftgate.

Back