Center Inlet Pump Draining

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoadedMonk

Reaction score
For those of you with a center inlet pump, do you worry about water collecting in the bottom half of the pump head below the inlet? Do you have to tip it and drain it out every brew session?

I have my system hard piped and my concern is not being able to remove it to drain it out.

I've never thought about that so no, I obviously don't worry about it. My pump is not plumbed in but I dont think I even do anything but put it away.

I always use my pump to circulate hot PBW water for cleaning up the kettle and the pump as well. I then run starsan through it too. If you did that and had some way to purge the lines, I think you'd be fine. It sounds like a closed system.

Yes, I always drain my pump head housings by tipping the pump forward and letting it dry. I find it to be an easy thing to do to let the pump head dry completely with nothing being left in there.

FWIW, I tipped it to drain for the first time ever on Saturday. LOL There was a little that did dribble out. Not a lot but it's probably better that it's not sitting in there.
Thanks for giving me a new "thing" to do.

Thanks for the feedback. I think I'll have to use an air compressor to knock that water out. Probably need to use one on the herms coil too.

Latest posts

Back