Blonde Ale Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Planning on brewing 10 gallons of this tomorrow. Pitching 5 gallons with Nottingham and 5 gallons with Mangrove Jack's M44 US West Coast Yeast that I picked up today.

Xtant said:
Just learned an important lesson, today: never brew when my three year old is home, but my wife isn't.

With all the distractions, my boil has gone like this:

2 lbs DME @ 60 min
1/4 oz Centennial @ 45 min
Reset timer @ 25 min
3lbs DME @ 10 min
1/4 oz Cascade @10 min
Oh **** why do I have leftover hops @ 10 min
1/4 oz Centennial @ 20 min
1/2 oz year-old Cascade @ 10 min
1/4 oz Cascade @ 5 min

Ummm... it'll be beer, but what kind and how good, I'm not sure.

ROFLMAO Blonde! Chill to 36 and enjoy!! It has to be better than a BMC? Right?

I did the 5 gallon batch and it turned out flavorless w a citrus aftertaste. Very disappointed. I had a smooth brewing process for the most part. The only problem was the mash temp was a little to high, but after putting about a quarter gallon on lukewarm water in I was able to stabilize it.what do you think happened?

My extract version is on tap and is rounding into shape. Big party with some friends next Saturday and I foresee this keg going fast.

Cleared up pretty well and tastes great. Will brew this again.

20130704.jpg

Brewing this right now for the third time on a beautiful Sunday afternoon here in eastern Canada. You know it's bad when you don't need to look at the recipe anymore lol

Thanks BM!

My girlfriend's son-in-law was over the other night. He has tried most of my beers but hasn't cared for them. He only drinks Corona and he openly admits he doesn't even like beer. He only drinks Corona because it doesn't have much flavor and it gets him buzzed.

After a couple sips of this beer the other night he said, "You finally made something good!" Three pints later I knew that he was sincere. :)

This keg kicked in record time, too. Will be putting this on the brew schedule again very soon.

Brewed this a month ago, only thing I changed was upped the 2 row and a pond of corn sugar to get the OG to 1.046 tasted one tonight after a week in the bottle and Im very impressed. Brewing this again next weekend. Thanks for the recipe

Bier

Brewed this up for a bunch of neighbors that like that light tasting stuff. The case and a half were gone in no time. I wanted to add a bit more fruitiness to the recipe and was thinking of maybe trying Falconer Flight for flavor and aroma or even the entire hops bill. What do you think?

Sheldon

Have brewed 2-5 gallon batches of this since the end of May. Made minor alterations to it. Went with 8# 2 row 9.6 ozs of Carapils, 10 L, and Vienna. Upped the Centennial to .3 oz, same time schedule= delicious. Almost 5.5%.
2nd go around I subbed Amarillo hops for the cascade. Gonna bottle in late July. Used wyeast 1056 each time as a starter. Thanks for the recipe...

Bier

Brewed this up for a bunch of neighbors that like that light tasting stuff. The case and a half were gone in no time. I wanted to add a bit more fruitiness to the recipe and was thinking of maybe trying Falconer Flight for flavor and aroma or even the entire hops bill. What do you think?

Sheldon

I just got 2 ounces of FF pellets. Wondering what I should do with them and I might try them in my altered recipe of this solid recipe. Try it, you can't go wrong.

I bottled this one week ago. I tried one today and the carbonation is good but it tastes a little yeasty/young. I'm assuming that it will taste better in a couple weeks?

My crawlspace where i ferment is at 67 degrees. Do you all think that will be cold enought for this beer? The ground should suck some heat out of it.

THanks

My crawlspace where i ferment is at 67 degrees. Do you all think that will be cold enought for this beer? The ground should suck some heat out of it.

THanks

I have used 70 to 72 degrees room temp for everything up until this last batch and they all come out good . Only about 1 or 2 degrees difference in beer and room temp as far as I can tell from checking my cream of three crops I did in fridge a few weeks ago.
You will be just fine at 67 . 68 degrees is exactly what I did my centennial in and it is great! I am getting ready to enjoy another one in a few minutes . Nice beer .

Well it was 91 degrees tonight and my softball team got waxed, but I came home and went in the pool and had a couple pints of this and life is good. I think my friends are going to like this one on Saturday, I better order the ingredients to start another batch.

Planning on brewing 10 gallons of this tomorrow. Pitching 5 gallons with Nottingham and 5 gallons with Mangrove Jack's M44 US West Coast Yeast that I picked up today.

So I did exactly this, pitched yeast around 7 PM last Saturday @ 63F ambient. The Nottingham was rehydrated, while the M44 was pitched dry as per packaging. They both started showing signs of activity within 24 hrs. The Nottingham took off, fermented vigorously and krausen dropped by Wed evening.

The M44 seems to be a bit slower, it still has krausen that appeared to be dropping when I bumped the temp up this morning. Looking forward to tasting both of these side by side :mug:

Hit about 1.051. Not terrible considering brew-day madness an temps of about 97 outside. Really looking forward to this one. First time I've chilled the wort to fermenting temp before pitching. In the past I've pitched once I chilled the wort to about 80'.

I ha have polished off the first case and then some of my first 5 gallon batch of this with the family. It is light, clean and refreshing! Followed the recipe and came out at 1.042. I was a bit surprised at the citrus flavor in it though-reminds me of a shandy almost.

Is the beer supposed to taste like that? Is it the cascades or something else in my process? I did add some saurmalz to my grain bill to get my ph right.

I'd like to make a bit cleaner tasting version of this with less citrus, any suggestions?

I ha have polished off the first case and then some of my first 5 gallon batch of this with the family. It is light, clean and refreshing! Followed the recipe and came out at 1.042. I was a bit surprised at the citrus flavor in it though-reminds me of a shandy almost.

Is the beer supposed to taste like that? Is it the cascades or something else in my process? I did add some saurmalz to my grain bill to get my ph right.

I'd like to make a bit cleaner tasting version of this with less citrus, any suggestions?

Use different hops. The citrus is from the hops, so perhaps use something noble instead of Cascade and Centennials.

I feel I need to add that this recipe ROCKS!!!!!

I made a 10g batch and split it. I did one normal, and 1 I poured over some cherry puree. I thought a cherry blond would be fun to drink.

The cherry version is dynamite as is the regular. If anyone has any doubts this a FANTASTIC beer.

Hit about 1.051. Not terrible considering brew-day madness an temps of about 97 outside. Really looking forward to this one. First time I've chilled the wort to fermenting temp before pitching. In the past I've pitched once I chilled the wort to about 80'.

Im notorious for this too, I always get impatient. But then I have to wait till the next day to pitch lol.

I kegged this yesterday. Made mine a bit stronger at 4.8% and I let it sit for 3.5 weeks in the primary due to a vacation I took. We'll see how it is next weekend!

I've probably brewed this a dozen times the past two years. Slight tweaks to the grain bill and hop schedule on different batches, but essentially the same. 1# of honey on 10 gallon batches is nice

Hey, forgive me for not reading 3000+ post thread, but what are the best options for racking this onto some whole fruit? Was thinking some sort of berry, will be nice in summer. Want to avoid a sour/tart flavour too. Do you need to boil the fruit at all and keep the juice or do you just throw them in the carboy?

I've been brewing for quite a while and normally like to let my beers age out as I really can't stand green beer. BM's Centennial Blonde therefore sounds like a good alternative for a quick beer requested by a friend just now.

I'll be brewing this tomorrow for a going away party that this friend will be having August 17th, so that's not even 4 weeks from brew day.

Not a lot of time so I would appreciate any kind of advice on these two questions:

1. Would the following fermenting/aging/carbonating schedule be good?
My plan is to do the fermentation (primary) for 6 days and then do a "secondary" fermentation in a 5G keg for for another 6 days (might even dry hop with cascade).
Then I'll move the keg into the kegerator to start carbonating it, 11 days in total.
2 days before the party I will transfer it into a 2,5G keg and bring it over to my friends place.

2. Is Nottingham or US05 to prefer? I'll be able to keep fermentation temperatures down to 17 C the first 48 hrs before needing to use the kegerator for other beers. After that I won't be able to keep ambient temperatures below 21 C. I would rehydrate both.

Thanks!

daggers_nz said:
Hey, forgive me for not reading 3000+ post thread, but what are the best options for racking this onto some whole fruit? Was thinking some sort of berry, will be nice in summer. Want to avoid a sour/tart flavour too. Do you need to boil the fruit at all and keep the juice or do you just throw them in the carboy?

I like to put the frozen strawberries that you can get from any grocery store into my carboy and just rack onto them for a few days to a week. I think it's less tart. Don't have to boil or anything. I like to use like 6-8 lbs when I do it.

I've been brewing for quite a while and normally like to let my beers age out as I really can't stand green beer. BM's Centennial Blonde therefore sounds like a good alternative for a quick beer requested by a friend just now.

I'll be brewing this tomorrow for a going away party that this friend will be having August 17th, so that's not even 4 weeks from brew day.

Not a lot of time so I would appreciate any kind of advice on these two questions:

1. Would the following fermenting/aging/carbonating schedule be good?
My plan is to do the fermentation (primary) for 6 days and then do a "secondary" fermentation in a 5G keg for for another 6 days (might even dry hop with cascade).
Then I'll move the keg into the kegerator to start carbonating it, 11 days in total.
2 days before the party I will transfer it into a 2,5G keg and bring it over to my friends place.

2. Is Nottingham or US05 to prefer? I'll be able to keep fermentation temperatures down to 17 C the first 48 hrs before needing to use the kegerator for other beers. After that I won't be able to keep ambient temperatures below 21 C. I would rehydrate both.

Thanks!

I have gone 10 days grain to glass. I didn't dry hop and carbed at 30 psi for about 36 hrs. It is good but clears up nicely and is very good at three weeks.

4 weeks is plenty. I would forgo the secondary and not bother with the dry hop.

Notty will be done in three days, maybe less. The higher temp after initial fermentation should not be a problem.

IMO, it is absolutely doable.

This is quickly becoming my go-to beer for events that just pop up. Just two week's notice and I can have a keg of it ready to go anywhere...

Mine too. I've brewed it a couple of times on short notice for parties. It is always a hit, even if it is a touch green or a bit cloudy.

I have gone 10 days grain to glass. I didn't dry hop and carbed at 30 psi for about 36 hrs. It is good but clears up nicely and is very good at three weeks.

4 weeks is plenty. I would forgo the secondary and not bother with the dry hop.

Notty will be done in three days, maybe less. The higher temp after initial fermentation should not be a problem.

IMO, it is absolutely doable.

Thanks for the reply!

So I should aim for 2 weeks in the primary? I normally do 3 weeks primary and then keg, so I really wouldn't mind. I just figured that the secondary would help it clear up faster.

Just another relatively new brewer who wants to thank Biermuncher for this recipe!

I chose it as my first BIAB mini-mash, and bottled it yesterday.

The hydrometer sample was quite tasty, even warm and flat. Can't wait until it's carbonated and chilled!

Thanks again Biermuncher!!

Back