Blonde Ale Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
all centenial? or should i bitter with magnum and late addition centennial? i have a lb of citra so its not a prob to use that. im just trying to keep it easy drinking for the bmc people

I made mine all Centennial. It was awesome!

Just wanted to say thanks for the coloring info. I found what I think is a pretty good price on it after shopping around and wanted to share it. It's just under 4 bucks for 4oz on Williams Brewing website. William's Brewing, fine homebrewing since 1979. @ Williams Brewing First time I've done business with them but they had some good prices from what I can see. Thanks & I'll post pics as I test this.

Found an interesting tidbit while doing the research. A statement that said "if you drink beer then you've drank Sinamar."

Just weighed out the grain bill for ten gallons. Gonna crush and mash first thing in the morning. A buddy wanted something for his new years party and I think this should go over good. The last time I made it I think the keg lasted a week. And it was a work week.

I've been making this brew since it hit the forum. It's my all time favorite and most of my friends as well. Always the first to be opened and the first to go down.

Basically, I've stayed true to the recipe and I've always hit my numbers. Easy brew to make. But...

Every batch has been slightly cloudy. It hasn't been an issue but I'm curious as to why.

This is the only brew I've ever made that has been cloudy or hazy other than my wheat based beers. I use Whirlfloc and have a killer chiller. I've never had any type of infection so I believe my operation is fairly clean. Plus it always taste great. There's nothing in the grain bill or with the yeast that would explain this from my limited understanding. So why is it hazy?

I've been making this brew since it hit the forum. It's my all time favorite and most of my friends as well. Always the first to be opened and the first to go down.

Basically, I've stayed true to the recipe and I've always hit my numbers. Easy brew to make. But...

Every batch has been slightly cloudy. It hasn't been an issue but I'm curious as to why.

This is the only brew I've ever made that has been cloudy or hazy other than my wheat based beers. I use Whirlfloc and have a killer chiller. I've never had any type of infection so I believe my operation is fairly clean. Plus it always taste great. There's nothing in the grain bill or with the yeast that would explain this from my limited understanding. So why is it hazy?

Not sure why some recipes have a longer chill haze phase than others. I use gelatin in the secondary and even my dry hopped pale ales are crystal clear. Maybe give that a go. :mug:

Not sure why some recipes have a longer chill haze phase than others. I use gelatin in the secondary and even my dry hopped pale ales are crystal clear. Maybe give that a go. :mug:

BM- I am making this now and I plan to keg it with gelatin and get it on gas. Have you ever gassed a keg while using gelatin? Will it still clear fine? I understand my first pint will have the gelatin in it.

Thanks

Now that's a real possibility!

However, I have observed time, cold, nor heat seem to affect my haze. I do add minerals to my water which I guess could be a factor.

Frankly this is my lightest beer so the minimal haze I see may be in everything I brew, I just can't see it.

Whatever it is, it sure doesn't affect the favor. This is one outstanding beer.

My next brew will be BM's "Ode to Arthur". I tend to follow him around like a little dog...:)

There's nothing in the grain bill or with the yeast that would explain this from my limited understanding. So why is it hazy?

I've made 7 batches of this so far. It's a favorite in the brewcave. The first 6 of them I made with US05 since I had bad experiences with the Notty yeast. They tasted great and dropped to a beautiful clear beer with no fining or anything in two weeks. This last one I decided to try with the original recipe Notty yeast. I had them both on tap for a while. Named one a Naughty Blonde and the other a Cheeky blonde for the US05 chico yeast. It's been 6 weeks now and the naughty still looks like a Heffe, so cloudy you can't see through the glass. It doesn't taste as crisp and clean as the US05 either. I'm done with Nottingham yeast.

Ricand said:
I've made 7 batches of this so far. It's a favorite in the brewcave. The first 6 of them I made with US05 since I had bad experiences with the Notty yeast. They tasted great and dropped to a beautiful clear beer with no fining or anything in two weeks. This last one I decided to try with the original recipe Notty yeast. I had them both on tap for a while. Named one a Naughty Blonde and the other a Cheeky blonde for the US05 chico yeast. It's been 6 weeks now and the naughty still looks like a Heffe, so cloudy you can't see through the glass. It doesn't taste as crisp and clean as the US05 either. I'm done with Nottingham yeast.

I have had a similar experience with Nottingham. I too have had better luck with US05.

I have only used Notty twice. Once the beer was cloudy for 6+ weeks. It finally cleared up a bit after that. The second time (with washed yeast from 1st batch) everything went great.

I have never had similar problems with US05.

This is what I was hoping to hear.

I've used Notty on all of my Blondes. Next one will be with something else....

Thanks guys!

just poured my first pint of this at day 18. tastes great! hasn't cleared yet but its only been chilled for 2 days.

BM- I am making this now and I plan to keg it with gelatin and get it on gas. Have you ever gassed a keg while using gelatin? Will it still clear fine? I understand my first pint will have the gelatin in it.

Thanks

I have done this in the past. If I have the time, I prefer to secondary with gelatin and then rack to the keg. Even if you rack a perfectly clear primary beer into a secondary, a few days with gelatin and you’ll see a pretty thin, but dense layer of yeast laden residue on the bottom of your carboy.

If you rack to the keg instead of a secondary, make sure the beer is very clear in the primary. You can bend your dip tube slightly so it is not resting on the very bottom of the keg. :mug:

I have done this in the past. If I have the time, I prefer to secondary with gelatin and then rack to the keg. Even if you rack a perfectly clear primary beer into a secondary, a few days with gelatin and you’ll see a pretty thin, but dense layer of yeast laden residue on the bottom of your carboy.

If you rack to the keg instead of a secondary, make sure the beer is very clear in the primary. You can bend your dip tube slightly so it is not resting on the very bottom of the keg. :mug:

Isn't the point of gelatin to clear the beer? I am assuming my primary is not going to be 'very clear' when I rack it to the keg.

On a side note, I have chilled some of my samples I used for gravity testing and it seems to have cleared pretty well in a couple days in the refrigerator, could I assume that I would have similar results if I kegged? Just wondering if it would clear as well in the keg versus the small sample I have chilled.

with the black friday special on hops in mind
here is what i'm think, it's what i have on hand

What do you think? Might add one lb of DME?
****5 Gallon Batch****

Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.57 gal
Estimated OG: 1.040 SG
Estimated Color: 3.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 21.5 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount
7.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
0.75 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)
0.25 oz Saaz [9.50%] (55 min)
0.25 oz Cascade [9.50%] (35 min)
0.25 oz Cascade [7.80%] (20 min)
0.25 oz Saaz [7.80%] (5 min)
1 Pkgs US05

Mash at 150 degrees for 60 minutes.

Isn't the point of gelatin to clear the beer? I am assuming my primary is not going to be 'very clear' when I rack it to the keg.

A beer that has ample time in the primary (10+ days) will rack very clear at room temperature. It's when you chill it that the beer will cloud up again. Chill haze is caused by proteins that are in suspension.

The gelatin in the secondary (or keg) will bind with those proteins and polyphenols and drop out of suspension.

I have only been all grain brewing for a year but have brewed this particular brew about 6 times now, (it's become my house beer). I have used notty for all brews. I always rack into secondary and use biofine and let it sit for 2-3 days.

Then I use a 1 micron beer filter with my pump rig and filter from secondary into keg. I do that for all my beers. Then I let it carb at normal rate for an additional week. It's probably overkill but have never had any problem with cloudy beer. Everyone compliments me on how clear my beers come out, (not to mention how great they taste). I have seriously considered not filtering this beer because of how clear it comes out of secondary after fining. I may try that on my next batch.

From what I've read and some interviews I've listened to, protein haze initially becomes a problem with to high of a mash temp. doesn't it? I heard a Beersmith podcast with a prof of brewing mentioning something about this and the importance of mash temps as well as how it affects changes to your wort as the temp changes. Good interview.

I have this in a keg right now and I didn't secondary or use any finings, just a decent primary time and straight to the keg and it's crystal clear. This beer is an awesome beer to have multiple trips to the tapper. I rarely secondary and have never filtered or used finings.

FYI...

I had previously posted that all my effects at this brew while tasting great were slightly hazy. I've been trying to pin down the cause and I believe I have found it.

It's my mineral adjustments to our water.

OKC water is very good for brewing since it's basically a clean slate. Not much of anything in it so one can dial in whatever they want. Most of my brews tend to be dark European styles which push the malty side of things more than hoppy. I found some time back that tweaking my water to be closer to a Dublin source made a slight improvement in my malty beers.

For simplicity I have just added this as a common step to everything I brew since I like the results. Well, on a light beer such as this Blonde the minerals I add do create a haze in the water which I hadn't noticed.

I removed some of the brew water after the mineral addition (before mashing) and allowed it to cool. I had expected the haze to fade away but it did not. It was evident this was the source of my haze since the effect in clear water was identical to what has been observed in the final product. This would never have been seen in any of my darker brews.

It appears to be the gypsum which causes this. I will need to do a little more research to pin this down but I'm confident something in the minerals has been my issue with haze.

It always feels good to eliminate a problem in brewing caus' there's so many more waiting to move up the list...:mug:

Happy New Year Guys!

I've been tweaking this recipe to nail down a house ale for myslef, and I am getting pretty close. I doubled the hops, and upped the DME a little - it was great. I think next time I will up the vienna a tad as well, and this one will be perfect. Thanks for the base recipe BM. That centennial bitterness is clean and crisp.

just made this about an hour ago.. everything is GTG.. i made it with one oz of citra

Well, after 3 days in the keezer and after 2.5 weeks since I brewed this, it already tastes great. I have never tasted such a good beer so young, it is perfect for a NYE party I am taking it to and will be making this again. Thanks BM!

ok this morning it's bubbling like a hot tub through the blow off, but on the inside of the glass it looks like there is, well it's hard to say, but it looks like clear or white skii wax was rubbed on the inside of the carboy... different?!?!?

I'm planning on using this for more of a single hop beer, as I've got a pound of CTZ flower and Montueka pellets taking up a fair amount of room in our fridge, and gf ain't happy b/c I have about 4 other pounds. . .

I'd like to do a batch with Montueka, as the new harvest should come out in a few months (so I can get rid of these), and I'd like to know if I should buy some fresher ingredients.

I'll probably do a straight single hop pellet batch of the Montueka, followed by Columbus--a lot of my friends are still in love with Cascades, which I pretty much can't stand anymore. They have no idea of the awesomeness of Columbus.

That said, I've been looking for a good first batch for myself. I came up with a decent hoppy wheat with my brother that managed 2nd place BIS in an Omaha competition (out of 86 beers), but I was very disappointed with it.

This is my first post on the site, and I hope to start making more--as well as some that can actually add to the forum, not just crappy noob questions that have been asked 100 times.

I just got a big shipment of liquid extracts from NB. Am I going to need to head back out to my LHBS and get a bunch of DME? Or will I be safe with the liquid? I have just about the whole gamut of their syrups, and plan on using AA#2 for my yeast. Will that be OK? Thanks.

You should be fine subbing whatever you like as far as hops are concerned; I frequently use this recipe to test the flavor of new hops, as it's a very clean profile to work from. Plus, adding a couple ounces of hops can make for a nice session pale ale or even IPA, depending on how you want to play it.

Liquid will work fine, but it doesn't have the same ratio as dry. As I recall, 1lb of pale malt = .7lb LME = .6lb DME, so just convert accordingly. A quick rule of thumb (which I snagged from this thread) would be to multiply DME by 1.1 to get your LME equivalent. Revvy has an OK grasp on brewing (for a newbie, with only 33k posts... pfft!), so I'd trust his opinion on it :mug:.

I'll probably do a straight single hop pellet batch of the Montueka, followed by Columbus--a lot of my friends are still in love with Cascades, which I pretty much can't stand anymore. They have no idea of the awesomeness of Columbus.

That said, I've been looking for a good first batch for myself. I came up with a decent hoppy wheat with my brother that managed 2nd place BIS in an Omaha competition (out of 86 beers), but I was very disappointed with it.

im drinking this beer made with motueka right now. YUM.

Inspired by the recipe, but made with what was on hand:

97% Marris Otter
3% Carapils

Centennial and Simcoe. Hit my numbers on the nose for once with an extra 1/2 gallon into the fermenter. Can't wait for this one to be ready.

You should be fine subbing whatever you like as far as hops are concerned; I frequently use this recipe to test the flavor of new hops, as it's a very clean profile to work from. Plus, adding a couple ounces of hops can make for a nice session pale ale or even IPA, depending on how you want to play it.

Liquid will work fine, but it doesn't have the same ratio as dry. As I recall, 1lb of pale malt = .7lb LME = .6lb DME, so just convert accordingly. A quick rule of thumb (which I snagged from this thread) would be to multiply DME by 1.1 to get your LME equivalent. Revvy has an OK grasp on brewing (for a newbie, with only 33k posts... pfft!), so I'd trust his opinion on it :mug:.

Yeah, I figured this would be a good base to do single hops on.

Thanks for finding me the extract conversion!

Used this recipe as my first stab at AG / BIAB. I took the original 5 gal recipe and used BeerSmith to scale it down to a 2.5 gal batch. I only have a 5 gal kettle so I did what I could do. :D The only alteration I ended up having to do was I changed the yeast I did - used Safale American dry yeast.

It went into the fermenter on 12/30 (well 12/31 as I rolled past midnight) and became active in just a couple of days. It has since settled down and appears to be cleaning up a bit. This is the first time I used a glass carboy as a primary fermenter so got to see the action happening. Looking forward to getting it bottled so I can eventually give it a try. Lot's of good reviews so hopefully I won't be disappointed.

Anyone tried this with S-04 with this beer? Thinking I'll give this recipe a shot for my 2nd all-grain batch. Need something with a quick turn-around since my first AG I did a week ago was an IIPA. I could brew this one next weekend and still have it kegged/carbed before the first one is ready.

Back