Blonde Ale Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This beer has been in the primary for 7 days. I have to travel for two weeks.
Should I bottle or send to the secondary for two weeks?

Thanks

psusoccer21 said:
Thanks to both of you. Two weeks it is!

Now that I re-read... you are saying 3 weeks in primary and not 1 week primary and 2 weeks secondary?

Always lean towards more time on the primary yeast cake. This is a very quick beer, but in your situation, leaving it in the primary will give you a cleaner beer quicker.

I'll admit I've only read up to page 32 but I have a few questions/ideas and I wanted to get your thoughts on this.

1). I plan to brew this beer on Saturday and was thinking about making a yeast starter on Friday? What are your thoughts?

2). With all the comments about how crisp this brew is I was considering "dry hopping" in the secondary with a few peeled apples. In the hopes of getting a bit of an apple after taste. Just a hint. For a nice summer beer. Any thoughts?

Will the apples not work well with the citrusy hops? Should I change the hops to compliment the flavor?

Thanks for your help. I REALLY look forward to brewing this.

BDB

I'll admit I've only read up to page 32 but I have a few questions/ideas and I wanted to get your thoughts on this.

1). I plan to brew this beer on Saturday and was thinking about making a yeast starter on Friday? What are your thoughts?

2). With all the comments about how crisp this brew is I was considering "dry hopping" in the secondary with a few peeled apples. In the hopes of getting a bit of an apple after taste. Just a hint. For a nice summer beer. Any thoughts?

BDB

1. A starter isn't 100% required with the gravity around 1.040. Making one isn't a bad idea, but if there was ever a candidate for a beer where you can pitch the liquid yeast straight, this is it. If you are using dry yeast, definitely don't use a starter.

2. This beer is nice when dry hopped with hops, I'm not sure how the apples will play. I would say, rack a gallon or so of the beer into a growler, and add the apples there. If you like it, you can always brew it again and add apples to the who batch.

I dry hopped 5 gallons of my 10 gal batch with an oz of cascade. Made for a super refreshing beer. I'll have to brew another 10 soon to keep on hand this summer.

I should have known this would happen...

Tried to do a two week turnaround on this for a work party. Came in a gallon short somehow, pushing the ABV close to 6%. Only let it sit in primary for 10 days before kegging. Hello acetaldehyde. Oh well, live and learn.

Picture after 2 weeks in the keg.

DSC_2758.jpg

I decided at the last minute to brew this on Sunday (SWMBO wasn't too happy that I was brewing until 8 last night :cross:) and everything went really well.

My only concern is that I ended up with at 1.050 instead of the projected 1.039 (pre-boil gravity was 1.046)...is this going to be a problem?

I followed the 5 gallon recipe exactly and usually get around 70-75% efficiency so I am not sure how my numbers were so high...

My only concern is that I ended up with at 1.050 instead of the projected 1.039 (pre-boil gravity was 1.046)...is this going to be a problem?

You should be fine. Allow an extra 10-14 days of fermenting time in the primary. It will just be a bit bigger beer, but allowing it to ferment out thoroughly will still yield a nice clean tasting product.:mug:

You should be fine. Allow an extra 10-14 days of fermenting time in the primary. It will just be a bit bigger beer, but allowing it to ferment out thoroughly will still yield a nice clean tasting product.:mug:

Thanks, I was planning on leaving it in primary for at least 2 weeks anyway so that shouldn't be a problem.

A little higher alcohol content is never a problem with me :drunk:

I brewed up another batch two weeks ago, the stuff flies out of the kegs. Even got a neighbor who is going to buy me some more kegs so I can brew a batch for him to have at his daughters wedding

For those of you who can WP, has anybody experimented with late additions for this recipe? I am thinking of doing a FWH and move all the other hop additions to 5, 0, and WP. Thoughts?

Ive brewed a countless number of beers now and have always avoided using other peoples recipes and clones. Im going to make an exception for this one though. With all the good reviews on this beer I can not resist. Ill report back in 5 weeks and let you all know how the beer came out.

So I admittedly haven't read all 130 pages of this thread, so don't jump on me if this was answered somewhere in there. I did skim the first 20 and the last 10 pages. :)

Anywho, I'm fairly new to AG brews, and was wondering if there's a specific temp/volume to sparge with here since the initial recipe just mentions mash temp.

Thanks!

DuffmanAK said:
So I admittedly haven't read all 130 pages of this thread, so don't jump on me if this was answered somewhere in there. I did skim the first 20 and the last 10 pages. :)

Anywho, I'm fairly new to AG brews, and was wondering if there's a specific temp/volume to sparge with here since the initial recipe just mentions mash temp.

Thanks!

Stick with about 175. Somewhere in thAt range will do.

This ones brewing on memorial day. $18.50 plus free homebrew at the local homebrew store. They were brewing out in the parking lot. My pipeline has been lagging behind my drinking lately. Hopefully this will be good with a 2 week primary as opposed to 3.

I tried to find this answer in the thread, but it's pretty long and I couldn't find it. Does this beer need the unusual fermentation schedule? 4 days and then to the keg, then a a secondary fermentation at a higher temp?

I think this is called a diacetyl rest, no? Isn't this usually for lagers? I actually just got a fermentation chamber setup, so I could do it. Just wanted to check on it's necessity, though.

How much primary fermentation needs to be complete before you chill it for this secondary fermentation schedule.

Yep, I'm confused. Looking forward to trying this beer, though.

I tried to find this answer in the thread, but it's pretty long and I couldn't find it. Does this beer need the unusual fermentation schedule? 4 days and then to the keg, then a a secondary fermentation at a higher temp?

I left mine in the primary for 12 days, then kegged it. It was good after a couple days in then keg, but was outstanding after a week or two

Thanks. I'll probably do the same. Has anyone done the diacetyl rest? Biermuncher, can you clarify?

I let mine (extract version) sit in the primary for close to four weeks. It's been in the keg for one week but I haven't tried it yet. I plan on trying either tomorrow or Tuesday. I'll definitely be back to post results.

So I made this today, and hopefully, the water problems were what was causing the problems with taste whenever I tried it before; used some reverse osmosis water instead of tap water.

5-gallon batch, and got an OG of 1.051. Seems a little high.

Unfortunately, also wound up with Munich malt instead of Vienna. Hopefully it won't mess up the taste too much :mug:

This beer is very flexible. Just about any way you brew it, it will turn out delicious. Mine was ferementing for about 11 days and then kegged. It is great after a few days carbonated.

Well I'm drinking my second batch of Centennial Blonde. Followed original recipe for the first batch and changed it up a little on the second.

Second batch I used 20L Crystal Malt to get a better color, that yellow color just didn't do it for me. I also used Wyeast 1272 American Ale II. I also fermented different on the second batch as the first beer was too green for my crowd around here. So I did 2 weeks in the primary, 2 weeks in the secondary and 1 week on gas. This beer is AWESOME!, really nice color and flavor. I will be doing my recipe from now on and will be keeping it on tap as a house beer.

Thanks BierMuncher for the original recipe!

Ah it's [technically] summer here even though it snowed over the weekend :eek:

I guess it's time to crank another BM Centennial Blonde! YAAAAY! I'm going to stick with S-04 because it really like the added esters, but this year I have a converted-freezer for temperature control that I'm about to finish. This may be the cleanest edition yet!

As a pretty new brewer, I have probably a dumb question about this beer. I would like to do the five gallon extract version, but my brew kettle is not big enough for the 6.5 gallons required for the posted recipe. To date, I've done AHS kits where you start with 2-3 gallons for the boil and top off in the fermenter. That works well for me at this point.

Any recommendations for how to scale this down so that the boil size is similar to the kits mentioned above? Thanks in advance!

Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.57 gal
Estimated OG: 1.044 SG
Estimated Color: 3.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 16.8 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 83.3 %
1.00 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 16.7 %
0.25 oz Centennial [9.50%] (45 min) Hops 7.8 IBU
0.25 oz Centennial [9.50%] (20 min) Hops 5.1 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [7.80%] (10 min) Hops 2.5 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [7.80%] (5 min) Hops 1.4 IBU
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

Couldn't you just boil everything as normal with 3 gallons and then mix in the rest of the water in the fermenter?

Back