Cellared Beer Reviews

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NRMpCyi.jpg

1978 Liefmans Goudenband we popped to celebrate a friend's 40th birthday.
This was better than the 2009 Rodenbach Vintage we had before it. Lots of red fruit and apple butter on the nose, very much a fruity PX Sherry aroma. Taste started very nice, a lot of the beer left. Slightly tart, no acetic acid but just a lovely sourness. Lots of raisins and dark fruit but mostly Amontillado Sherry.
Bottle and cork were in really good condition, bought from the original owner and was perfectly stored. I'm not doing much justice to this beer describing it but it was great

wszCm7y.jpg

This beer always amazes me. Has not faded at all. Have not had it in a year or two. Still a very lively cork, but not like 50th where u need eye protection to open. Great funk and yet so light and crushable. A very slight mineral finish. Love this beer.

wszCm7y.jpg

This beer always amazes me. Has not faded at all. Have not had it in a year or two. Still a very lively cork, but not like 50th where u need eye protection to open. Great funk and yet so light and crushable. A very slight mineral finish. Love this beer.

There are a few beers I'm not certain I'll ever try, but wouldn't it be nice... Millennium, Blauw, Rose, and Malavassia are among them. 50n b1 too.

This beer is really starting to hit it's stride the strong Belgian yeast character has mostly subsided. Really jammy at this point and even a bit sweet still. Think this has legs to go a few more years even. Not bad for a 4 year old american fruit beer. Stoked a new batch just came out in 4 packs.

(Link to media)

This beer is really starting to hit it's stride the strong Belgian yeast character has mostly subsided. Really jammy at this point and even a bit sweet still. Think this has legs to go a few more years even. Not bad for a 4 year old american fruit beer. Stoked a new batch just came out in 4 packs.

(Link to media)

Crazy, I just opened the same vintage on Thursday, too! Agree with your review. Really great fruit flavor and it seems drier than when fresh, which is a really good thing.

does anyone know where I could find a bottle or two of 2017 Gouden Carolus Cuveee van de Keizer BLUE in northern NJ? missing that one in my vertical, any leads are appreciated thank you!

does anyone know where I could find a bottle or two of 2017 Gouden Carolus Cuveee van de Keizer BLUE in northern NJ? missing that one in my vertical, any leads are appreciated thank you!
I might be able to find some in PA. I can ask around if youd like?

(Link to media)

Wife and I opened one recently as well. Too sweet for us, actually wound up drain pouring it. Why the **** did I buy 6 of them?

Bigfoot vertical last night (‘13-‘19). If you’ve got a ‘15 or ‘16 lying around, open it. Both were head and shoulders above the other years. ‘13 had fallen off pretty hard.
AAm9bpd.jpg

5eb6oEX.jpg

What's going on with the labels in the second pic?

Been drinking down the cellar for thr last 2 months. Forgot to post some reviews here.

Here we go...

20190202-191244-2.jpg

2011. Been holding on to this one for THAT Event Horizon vertical tasting that will never happen. Popped it. Really drinkable. Slightl carb. Roasty. No oxidation. Held up really well. I managed to finish it.

But before that I popped....

20190202-184611-2.jpg

I expected a full on drain pour aka 090909, so I was excited to just get rid of it. But damn if it wasn't pretty ok still! Zero oxidation. Some carb left. Mellow Belgian flavor profile still happening. Held up MUCH better than others in the series. I still didn't finish it. I don't think I'm super into Belgians the way I was when I first bought the bottle.

qpvkTl2.jpg

Didn't expect to try this one... I understand it's whale status especially in the context of what was available at the time, and holding up this well is another testament to the quality. Smooth, mellow funk, low acidity, definitely enjoyed it.

qpvkTl2.jpg

Didn't expect to try this one... I understand it's whale status especially in the context of what was available at the time, and holding up this well is another testament to the quality. Smooth, mellow funk, low acidity, definitely enjoyed it.
Never had Izzy, but it seems like most AWA whales are really a product of the then relative scarcity of well done barrel aged american sours.

If released today, I would imagine Izzy would not be a huge deal since there are plenty of other what I understand to be similar quality examples of the style.

pLeR6ew.jpg

This is officially the oldest Bigfoot that I've ever had. Now I finally know how long you have to age a Bigfoot for the hops to fall off. This was quite tasty, but after having a fresh 2019 the night after, I don't think I can have the self control to let bottles age 18yrs again.

Never had Izzy, but it seems like most AWA whales are really a product of the then relative scarcity of well done barrel aged american sours.

If released today, I would imagine Izzy would not be a huge deal since there are plenty of other what I understand to be similar quality examples of the style.

Agree in general, but I really dislike most American sours these days, and this was quite good. Maybe it's the age, because a 2008 Cable Car surprised me recently too. Some aged sour beer 'sours up' and some must get muted and mellowed by oxygen? I'm no chemist IDK

Agree in general, but I really dislike most American sours these days, and this was quite good. Maybe it's the age, because a 2008 Cable Car surprised me recently too. Some aged sour beer 'sours up' and some must get muted and mellowed by oxygen? I'm no chemist IDK
Oh man, I had 08 Cable Car in 2014 and it was...not good. I wrote "watery and bland." That being said, most times I've had 09, it's been superb. Perhaps that's just the aging gamble, but I've heard similar reports of 07 CC for awhile.

51036554_10216374736355454_7049248085402189824_n.jpg

Banged this one out during Royal Rumble.

Far less oxidation than expected, pretty minimal really, was pretty mild, carbonation stayed firm. Good toffee character, light dark fruit, unsweetened, mildly bitter. Have I been drinking "bigger" barleywines? This was pretty effortless. I'm really happy where I got my cellar nowadays. Half of it are beers I love and buy by the case (Cuvee Rene Gueuze/Kriek, Tart of Darkness, Hottenroth, Chocolate Rain, Tilquin) and then the other half are just rando barleywines, lambics and a few barrel aged stouts.

Will probably open the 2010 at next year's Royal Rumble.

(Link to media)

My favorite cheap and easy to get beer to cellar. I always go back and forth on what age I prefer. In the past I usually settled in on 2-3 years as being my favorite. This is a 2015 bottle that just blew my mind. Brett character has really settled and this beer has become just insanely drinkable. The more I try new beers the more I find myself coming back to this and just being blown away. Just a lovely beer that really blossoms with just a bit of time on it.

Last edited:
Continuing the looong journey to clear out the cellar....

20190210-192221.jpg

Tasted like slightly boozey rotten
Apple juice. Not surprised.

20190210-192359.jpg

Keeping with the tradition of Stone's QM series, with the corks not doing a thing...it opened with no hint of a seal. Dead quite. Rotten copper mouthwash.

20190210-192950.jpg

Very little barrel left. Mostly coffee. Pretty flat. But, enough marshmallow goodness that it was easy to finish the bottle as a sipper over the evening. It's 1-2 years over the hill. Drink'em if ya got'em!

pLeR6ew.jpg

This is officially the oldest Bigfoot that I've ever had. Now I finally know how long you have to age a Bigfoot for the hops to fall off. This was quite tasty, but after having a fresh 2019 the night after, I don't think I can have the self control to let bottles age 18yrs again.
last old big foot I had was oxidized as ****.

20190214-192602-2.jpg

Shockingly awesome! No oxidation, cardboard, etc. Most all FW fall off hard after 3 years or so.
always found that 2013 was my least favorite of the Parabola Vintages. They used a very high percentage of Rye Whiskey in the blend and found the spice level to be too high. Must admit, I'm very curious if I still find that to be an issue 6 yrs later.

always found that 2013 was my least favorite of the Parabola Vintages. They used a very high percentage of Rye Whiskey in the blend and found the spice level to be too high. Must admit, I'm very curious if I still find that to be an issue 6 yrs later.
Interesting. Given how much I enjoy the spice that Rye adds.

I'm just more amazed that it wasn't cardboard.

Interesting. Given how much I enjoy the spice that Rye adds.

I'm just more amazed that it wasn't cardboard.
I've had no issues with aging their standards (Parabola, Sucaba, DDBA [Pls come back!]). I've had no success with their anny ales though. Those always get worse IME.

(Link to media)

My favorite cheap and easy to get beer to cellar. I always go back and forth on what age I prefer. In the past I usually settled in on 2-3 years as being my favorite. This is a 2015 bottle that just blew my mind. Brett character has really settled and this beer has become just insanely drinkable. The more I try new beers the more I find myself coming back to this and just being blown away. Just a lovely beer that really blossoms with just a bit of time on it.

Phone broke, so no pics.

Alesmith 2012 BA Speedway.

Continuing to clean out the cellar, I busted it out on Sat. I had a 2014 not long ago, and it was way over the hill. But this, THIS was awesome! So smooth and crazy integrated. Man. Talk about a throwback to a perfect BA stout!

Pop'em if ya got'em!!

Opened up a Chocolate Rain 2013 recently, and it was awesome. Super smooth, chocolate stands out and can notice vanilla. Not boozy at all, which is incredible, at 18.5% abv.

Wish the cellared beers are all like this, lol.

Opened up a Chocolate Rain 2013 recently, and it was awesome. Super smooth, chocolate stands out and can notice vanilla. Not boozy at all, which is incredible, at 18.5% abv.

Wish the cellared beers are all like this, lol.

Honest to Abe, I just put one of these in a box along with 2014 Grey Monday and some other big Bruery stouts from 2010-2013 in a box to go to a fellow for some smaller format Voodoo bottles.

I hesitated for a moment...cuz who the **** sits on a bottle of beer for 6 years knowing its going to get better with age and then just up and trades it without getting a taste of what 6 years cellar dwellar magic has imparted?

4ED8B7E8-7AFA-404D-B5D7-F8579006DE0C.jpeg

This was exceptional. 2014 BA Vanilla dark lord. Late night bottleshare with 8 fraternity brothers for our annual basketball game reunion. Loads of vanilla. Not too sweet. Some roast. No soy. Big surprise from my buddy that went to 2014 DLD with me. Showstopper.

I drank this last night. September 2016

C8DbCCs.jpg

I really.enjoyed it. Way better than a fresh one I'd had a couple weeks ago. If I didn't know any better, if someone told me there was no coffee in it I wouldn't believe them. Roasty, silky. nutty, almost like hazelnut. Faint caramel and vanilla. Solid

Back