Celebratory berry mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Dutch

Reaction score
Hey guys..so I recently purchased my first home and i got a few months before I actually move in..well to celebrate I’d like to make some mead and have it bottle ready in like 3/4 months for a housewarming party..I have done a lot of citrus or traditional mead and I want to mix it up..I’m looking at giving a big batch of mixed berry a shot. This will be my first big batch:

15 lbs honey
10 lbs mixed berries
3 cloves
5 oranges cut up
Water to 6 gallons (want 5 gallons yield)
DAP nutrient split (2 tsp first day 2 tsp second day) aerate after
Lalvin KV-1116 yeast

I’m looking for a semi sweet taste with a lot of berry coming through

Keeping the ABV Low will keep the alcohol fuel taste to a minimum. 8-10% Is a good range between alcohol flavour and sweetness.

Aging for a long time will also lessen the strong alcohol flavor but it sounds like you dont have that much time.

This sounds delicious! I've been looking into doing a mixed berry mead with blackberry, blueberry, raspberry, strawberry, and cherry, with possibly a few oranges as well. Just load it with fruit, I think would be great. Keep us updated on how yours turns out!

This sounds delicious! I've been looking into doing a mixed berry mead with blackberry, blueberry, raspberry, strawberry, and cherry, with possibly a few oranges as well. Just load it with fruit, I think would be great. Keep us updated on how yours turns out!

So it’s been about 5 or so months since I’ve been on here and I’ve forgotten about this post. I was recently looking for new inspiration when I came across this.

Update: I didn’t end up doing it in a 5 gallon batch. I scaled this down to one gallon and it turned out amazing. I let it age for a few months, bottled then aged again for a few months and it was absolutely wonderful. I received many compliments from it so if anyone is looking for a recipe I highly recommend it

Latest posts

Back