CDA / Black IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr_bell

Reaction score
Okay, I searched for a while and couldn't find it. I have limited time here since I'm working, or should be anyway. Could someone put up a link from our fine forum here for a decent CDA / Black IPA recipe or 2. I want to do a partial mash, but an AG recipe is fine; I'll convert it.

Thanks,

MB

I haven't seen a thread with a recipe...I would think going with a basic IPA recipe that goes light on the crystal malts and using dehusked carafa for color would get you there though.

I'm currently brewing the extract kit from Northern Brewer and they also have an all grain kit available, ingredients are listed on the website. There are plenty of good reviews on the website and I'm sure it would be a good jumping point for formulating your own recipe if that's what suits you.

Mine won't be ready for another 7ish weeks and I haven't looked at it since brewing 2 weeks ago so I have no personal experience yet. When I do I'll post for sure.

Good luck! If you do find a great recipe let me know, this is quickly becoming one of my favorite styles and I'd like to get another in before the summer.

-Rick

Just posted a recipe for mine, about as simple as they come.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/simple-imperial-black-ipa-226023/

Wow, that's a huge grain bill! I only have a 5 gal round igloo for my MLT, but could always scale back the grain to accommodate my MLT, and add extract after (batch) sparging to get the gravity up where it needs to be.

With the smaller MLT that I have, I had resigned myself to brewing lower grav. beers. Do you think there would be any drawbacks to brewing it as I've described, kinda like a large partial mash? I think (since I've never tried it) I would max out the my MLT with 12# of grain roughly, based on what I've read here.

Also, have you tried your recipe yet? How did it come out? Any tasting notes? EDIT: I see that you did try it and had good results.

Thanks for the response and the others as well.

Wow, that's a huge grain bill! I only have a 5 gal round igloo for my MLT, but could always scale back the grain to accommodate my MLT, and add extract after (batch) sparging to get the gravity up where it needs to be.

With the smaller MLT that I have, I had resigned myself to brewing lower grav. beers. Do you think there would be any drawbacks to brewing it as I've described, kinda like a large partial mash? I think (since I've never tried it) I would max out the my MLT with 12# of grain roughly, based on what I've read here.

Also, have you tried your recipe yet? How did it come out? Any tasting notes?

Thanks for the response and the others as well.

Well, that was for a 7 gallon batch. I split it with my friend, so we each got 3.5 gallons. You could scale it down for 5 gallons. I have tried it, it was great. Hoppy and roasty, great head retention. It was a big hit at my LHBS last weekend during an all grain class.

I think I missed that part. I must have undiagnosed ADD. So 9 gal pre-boil, 7 gal post boil.

I'll do the math and with the help of beersmith, scale it down to a 7 gal pre-boil volume. I would still have to scale down the amount of base malt to fit in my MLT and make up the difference with extract.

I had good luck with this formulation, its a 3.5 gallon batch though, but its easily scaled to a full 5 gallon batch using beersmith or beer calculus (I use brewpal). Its modeled after both a brewingtv Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale (hop bill) and NB's Black IPA kit (used dark malt syrup and carafa II). I love this beer, top 2 I've ever made bar none.

Recipe Type: Extract
Yeast: US-05
Yeast Starter: nah
Batch Size (Gallons): 3.5
Original Gravity: 1.071
Final Gravity: 1.016
IBU: 106-120
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 46l
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 4 weeks
Additional Fermentation: nope
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): don't bother
Tasting Notes: a really great CDA

3.5 gallon batch

Steeped for 30 at 155 or so, and rinsed with 170 degree water (not a real partial mash, but for some reason rinsing any grains makes me believe I am getting more out of them)

.5lb carafa II
.5lb C60

6.6 lbs dark malt syrup (my LHBS had Briess Dark) (3/4's of one can at boil, last 1/4th and 2nd can at flame out)

2oz. chinook 60 min.
1.25 oz. simcoe 0min.
1.25 oz. amarillo 0min.

1.25 each of simcoe and amarillo for 7 days

US-05

Back