CBPi Temp Display Issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Town9

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all,

Looking for some help with a weird Craftbeerpi issue. I just got my 1/2 bbl rig setup and CBP controls the pumps and elements fine manually (I'm using a Hosehead 5BC). The temps read as expected when nothing is turned on or when the elements are turned on manually.

The weird thing is that the temps on the display freeze when I turn on the water pump (including auto mode). Once they freeze, I have to completely shutdown CBP and the hosehead and turn it back on for the temps to read again.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help,
Ben

Update: Its not just the water pump. At random times I'll turn on an element or pump and the temps on the dashboard will freeze until I turn off the controller and back on again...could it be wifi?

The new version of CBPi sucks. Never could get the temp sensors to work right. I switched back to strangebrew. It never breaks and I don't have to spend hours messing with plugins that are edited constantly by random people. Too many cooks stirring the CBPi stew....

I just dont get it, it will work for awhile, then freeze when I try to switch on a different pump. Super frustrating, but I dont really want to switch to strangebrew mid brew day...is that an involved process to go back?

Switching mid brew would be a pain. I always keep a backup SD card on hand with another full install of everything on it....

Turns out reloading Elsinore will be more difficult than I thought. Plus I really like the interface of craftbeerpi.

Has anyone had this issue?

It happens randomly throughout the brew day where I’ll turn on a pump or an element and the temps on the CBPi display will freeze. They won’t work again until I restart the hosehead.

It doesn’t happen every time I turn on an actor, just randomly. It causes major overshoot issues because the control logic is basing off the displayed temp. The pump/element buttons still work while the temps are frozen.

I’ve tried reloading CBPi and deleting the temp log files, but no luck...

I be confused

Turns out reloading Elsinore will be more difficult than I thought. Plus I really like the interface of craftbeerpi.

Has anyone had this issue?

It happens randomly throughout the brew day where I’ll turn on a pump or an element and the temps on the CBPi display will freeze. They won’t work again until I restart the hosehead.

It doesn’t happen every time I turn on an actor, just randomly. It causes major overshoot issues because the control logic is basing off the displayed temp. The pump/element buttons still work while the temps are frozen.

I’ve tried reloading CBPi and deleting the temp log files, but no luck...

I be confused
I am no computer dude by any stretch. But I think you need to switch out components one at a time till you find the culprit. I would start with the temp probes. Change them out with ones from a different supplier, try a test batch. Make sure you don't have a hardware issue.

Have you posted on the CBPi Facebook page?

This sounds like a hardware issue because of it's randomness. Just my 2 cents.

Are you shutting the Pi down without restarting through the software? (Unplugging it). This causes serious problems in the OS. Do the temp probes show up in terminal?

cd /sys/bus/w1/devices/ls

Installing Elsinore on an SD card is simpler than installing CBPi on one....

I am no computer dude by any stretch. But I think you need to switch out components one at a time till you find the culprit. I would start with the temp probes. Change them out with ones from a different supplier, try a test batch. Make sure you don't have a hardware issue.

Have you posted on the CBPi Facebook page?

This sounds like a hardware issue because of it's randomness. Just my 2 cents.

Yeah, that will be my next move I guess. I hadn’t tried it earlier because the components work fine before the “freeze” happens, which then all 3 temps freeze.

Thanks for the help!

Are you shutting the Pi down without restarting through the software? (Unplugging it). This causes serious problems in the OS. Do the temp probes show up in terminal?

cd /sys/bus/w1/devices/ls

Installing Elsinore on an SD card is simpler than installing CBPi on one....

I shutdown the pi in the software, then power off the unit physically.

The temp probes do show up in terminal.

I was able to reload Elsinore last night, and it seems to be working at this point. I will use it for the next brew day and see if it happens in that software too.

I appreciate the assistance, I’ll report back with the Elsinore results...

I had CPU temp issues until i put a fan facing directly down onto pi board. It definitely caused stability issues. You should see a little thermometer in the upper right portion of your screen if it gets too hot.

Back