Cat's peeing where beer fermenting beer spilled?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jpartschjr

Reaction score
So i have a fermentation chamber with a braggot on queue. The brew bucket popped open a week ago and made a horrible mess. I have cleaned that up and transferred to secondary.

Cleaned the beer up with Clorox wipes and then hit the chamber with star San as well as floor.

The cats are now peeing where the beer was spilt.... Anyone ever experience this? They are not peeling on the chamber.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

LOL!!! sorry but that's just funny.

You can buy stuff at the pet store that you can spray on those spots so they don't go there any more. You can also try putting orange peels on the spots cause cats hate citrus.

There is a nature something or other (red bottle) of spray you can get to spray on things the cats pee on. Get to it quick. Sometimes I leave it wet so my cat knows.

This happened once, near where the beer was fermenting. I thought my swamp cooler tub was leaking but the cat pissed there. First time in 12 years and it was because the dog pushed his ball in front of the door where the litter box is (it's a dog door cut into a closet door). The cat evidently was too stupid to move it (it was bigger than him) and thus pissed someplace else.

He did it once more the next day then I bought that junk. Worked well.

Thanks guys! I'll get some odor neutralizing stuff. Hopefully this was a one time deal

So i have a fermentation chamber with a braggot on queue. The brew bucket popped open a week ago and made a horrible mess. I have cleaned that up and transferred to secondary.

Cleaned the beer up with Clorox wipes and then hit the chamber with star San as well as floor.

The cats are now peeing where the beer was spilt.... Anyone ever experience this? They are not peeling on the chamber.

Clorox has bleach and cat pee has ammonia. Mixing them creates a toxic gas. Maybe they're just trying to kill you.

Honestly, I bet it's the Clorox. We've had cats for years, never had one pee, but anytime we get out the bleach or clorox wipes to clean, the cats come in and roll/rub all over the area where we just cleaned. I don't know if the clorox just eliminates the natural odors they are used to, so they feel they need to mark their territory or what.

After hearing your story though, I think i was on the right track with the marking the territory. I think the clorox makes them think, "Oh, new spot to mark up."

There is a nature something or other (red bottle) of spray you can get to spray on things the cats pee on. Get to it quick. Sometimes I leave it wet so my cat knows.

This happened once, near where the beer was fermenting. I thought my swamp cooler tub was leaking but the cat pissed there. First time in 12 years and it was because the dog pushed his ball in front of the door where the litter box is (it's a dog door cut into a closet door). The cat evidently was too stupid to move it (it was bigger than him) and thus pissed someplace else.

He did it once more the next day then I bought that junk. Worked well.

Nature's Miracle. Helps break down the enzymes or whatever in the urine. If the cats (or dogs) don't smell that something already peed there, then they are more likely to leave it alone.

Thanks again all! No more "marking" is taking place so i will keep my eye on it. Used the natures miracle..

Also, the comment about bleach and ammonia... I wouldn't put it past these cats to want me gone lol.

I have seen my cat do this! I had some unexpected blowoff from my carboy and cleaned it up. Later I noticed the tshirt I draped over the fermenter was turning yellow. Not good...

Cat got an outdoor time out the very next time I saw him do it and has been very good not to do so again!

Back