Catfish Tail 60 Min. IPA (a sorta-dogfish head clone)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrphillips

Reaction score
GRAIN

7 lbs. extra light DME
1 lb. munich malt
.5 lb. crystal 40

HOPS

1 oz. warrior + 1 oz. simcoe + 1 oz. amarillo ALL MIXED TOGETHER
- HOP CONTINUOUSLY with ~5 grams every 5 minutes. That should leave ~20 grams for the last 5 minute addition.

1 oz. simcoe + 1 oz. amarillo DRY HOP

YEAST

S-05

I'm making this for a friends wedding in a year, so I wanted to get a test-batch bottled and drank before the even. Dogfish Head 60 min. is his favorite beer...but I'm afraid to do a straight-up clone of it and miss the mark, so I'm taking what I think are the high points and tweaking bits and pieces. I'll be brewing this in 2 weeks.

I would keep the hops separate and add all the warrior before the 30 minute mark and then all the Simcoe and Amarillo in the last 30 minutes. There is no reason to use warrior as a flavor/aroma hop and no reason to waist all the flavor and aroma of Simcoe and Amarillo as a bittering hop.

Good point. That's what Yooper's Dogfish Head clone does, but I've never used warrior hops before so I wasn't sure what flavors late additions of it would produce. I know it's a very clean bittering hop...but that's all i know.

Yeah it is a great bittering hop, but I would never recommend using it as a flavor or aroma addition.

Latest posts

Back