Cask Ale Pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

renshaw

Reaction score
Hello all,

I've been given old cask ale pump by a guy from work, he's had it in his shed for around 25 years :) as a aluminium barrel of the same age (needs more repairs doing)

Well i first of all pushed a bit of pipe i had laying around in to the back of it and tried it and it worked without a problem.

I'm going to sand it down and shine the brass and silver parts back up :)

Well I was wondering what connectors I'd need to rig with to a pressure barrel? (Plastic sort)

Explain all in detail, as i have no idea.

Pictures below.

unled1ub.jpg

unled2bw.jpg

It's a bit of guesswork, but here goes, based on my understanding that you're in the UK using readily available Homebrew kit.

Before you do anything get some line cleaner in the pump and make sure it's really clean.

1. The handpump is designed to serve unpressurised beer, through suction from a cask. it won't work for pressurised keg beers.

2. A simple silicon tube between your cask tap and the input on the handpump should suffice. Make sure it's secure on the cask by using a jubilee clip or similar. Keep the run as short as possible so as not to leave too much beer in the line.

3. Release the pressure on your cask by opening the lid, open the tap and pull your pints gently.

4. This method will suck air in to the cask so drink it all quickly.

Okay thank you.

Is their a better cap i can use then other then having it open one that lets out pressure so the beer won't come oxygenated?

renshaw said:
Okay thank you.

Is their a better cap i can use then other then having it open one that lets out pressure so the beer won't come oxygenated?

You have to let something in to replace the beer. The only other option for that hand pump is to have a system that replaces the drawn-out beer with CO2 at atmospheric pressure, but I have never seen a cap for that type of barrel which will do that.

You could make one though, if you have the skill. You'll need a tank of CO2 and a pressure regulator to bring it to air pressure, add some sort of connector to a plain cask cap and off you go.

(At this point, I'm thinking yes, why don't I try to make one. I have three of these plastic pressure kegs.)

You're talking about investing in a load of different kit if you want to have beer constantly on tap.

Research on the board how our US buddies do their kegging and pouring. That sort of kit is available in the UK, but you have to look hard at the online Homebrew stores.

Arh i see i think i'll go with the air method for now.
On the old keg i was given it had a co 2 in put and a out put that you needed to turn with a alankey..
it also had a smaller fitting tap. I'm guessing he used to have them rigged together at some point,
I'll have to see how he did it

renshaw said:
Arh i see i think i'll go with the air method for now.
On the old keg i was given it had a co 2 in put and a out put that you needed to turn with a alankey..
it also had a smaller fitting tap. I'm guessing he used to have them rigged together at some point,
I'll have to see how he did it

Good luck, anything else you need I'll be here.

Back