American Pale Ale Cascades / Orange Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
im stuck at home and cant go to get the us 05 yeast
can i use wlp 004?
will there be a huge difference as i love this beer as is

Enjoying first bottle of a half-sized batch, slightly stressed that there aren't that many bottles left!

It's very good! Next time I may supplement with some extract to reach full batch size.

Made this yesterday. In place of the Cascade hops I used Australian Galaxy for the last 3 hop additions. Hopefully she comes out amazing!

Guys, this is an awesome beer. Follow the hop schedule and mash temps and you'll nail it.
Happy brewing!

hey all,
I pitched this one (one pack and dry as I have always done with no issues) around 11 hours ago and am not seeing much activity in the airlock.
peeking inside the primary I'm just seeing brown beer. when should I begin to worry & go buy another pack?
temp should be fine in the neighbourhood of 70c in my basement...

thoughts?

Definitely give it at least 3 days and then check the gravity. I bet you will have Krausen by tomorrow

Just picked up the ingredients for this. Will be brewing this weekend. Only changes are I'm using us05 and homegrown cascade hops for the late additions

I, too just made the trip to my LHBS and put this together. I did it with the Marris Otter this trip, but I think I will be switching to 2 row if I brew it again. The MO is $1.89 a Pound and the 2 row is $1.19. That's a $6-$7 difference in the cost of this brew. Is it really worth the extra $6-$7 to use the MO?

The total cost of grain, 1 oz. of Cascades for the first wort hopping,(Homegrown for all the rest) and 2 oz of the sweet orange was $25. I have the yeast and coriander at home already.

Also, has anyone used notty on this? I have a winter warmer on a notty cake that needs to be bottled and could put this right in on top.

And what about mash temps? 152* for 60 min?

:mug:

My Beer is currently being dry hopped and going to keg it on Friday. I think MO is what makes this beer great so yes I believe it's worth the few dollars more.

I mashed at 152...was aiming for 154 but i stirred too long and brought the temp down...still tastes great and from what I've ready us-05 and notty would do well with this beer

Brewimg this for my 3rd time today. Using the S04 and have temp control now. What temp should inset this at?
I was guessing 66°
Thanks all

I saw dried orange peel in my home brew shop
Sweet and Curaçao
What would you guys suggest fresh orange or the dried and if the dried which of the two
Ps I love the brew it's the best ever

I'm trying this with half amarillo and reduced orange. Airlock smells amazing

Oh and I try to buy local so I used Gambrius ESB instead of MO

Any idea why when I plug this into Beersmith I get 17.5 ibu?

I adjusted the recipe to fwh 1.75 oz of 6.8% cascade, and then .75 oz at the three boil stages to give me 30.1 IBU all of 6.8%

On edit:
looks like i screwed up by not changing the equipment to all grain. Oh well, going to be super bitter now 54 ibu, nothing too crazy though.

I finally got around to brewing this today. Hit all my numbers spot on and was done and cleaned up in under 5 hours from start to finish. Can't wait to pop the top on one of these.

:mug:

Rack it from under the stuff that is floating very carefully with out disturbing the floating stuff. Taste it and see what you think. I bet it's fine.

I'm trying this with half amarillo and reduced orange. Airlock smells amazing

Oh and I try to buy local so I used Gambrius ESB instead of MO

Two weeks in the bottle and it's super tasty.

Mine is two weeks in the bottle also. Pretty good brew. Maybe not bitter enough for me, and I even screwed up and made it more bitter - see above.

I get some super sweet honey flavor from this beer too. Maybe too much Crystal 10. I didn't add coriander though, so I am losing some bitterness from that too.

Good base recipe though! Thanks for posting.

I brewed this one a few weeks ago. I found it with Beer Smith, but I used the Wyeast Farmhouse blend. I kegged it yesterday and it tastes like bitter bubble gum... :( I don't know what happened with this one. Fermentation temps were about 68-70F

9 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 81.8 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 2 9.1 %
1 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 3 9.1 %
1.00 oz Cascade [5.90 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 4 24.3 IBUs
4.00 Items Orange Peel - fresh (Boil 10.0 mins) Flavor 5 -
1.00 oz Cascade [5.90 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 6 8.0 IBUs
0.83 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 10.0 mins) Spice 7 -
1.00 oz Cascade [5.90 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 8 4.4 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [5.90 %] - Boil 1.0 min Hop 9 1.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg American Farmhouse Blend (White Labs #WLP670) [50.28 ml] Yeast 10 -
2.00 oz Cascade [5.90 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 11 0.0 IBUs

I had the first of my C/O last night after just 2 weeks in the bottle. Mine is more hopy than I would have liked. The 2 oz. of dry hop hit like a ton of citrus, and I don't know if it's the coriander,orange peel, or the hops, but there is an odd bitterness that doesn't seem to blend well. At least not yet. It will likely be much better in another couple weeks, but I will scale the hops back if I brew it again.

You may want to check the potency of your hops. When I bought the Cascades Hops from my home brew store they were 6.8% AA. The original recipe calls for 5.5%. You would have had to decrease the amount of the hops you used to bitter.

You may want to check the potency of your hops. When I bought the Cascades Hops from my home brew store they were 6.8% AA. The original recipe calls for 5.5%. You would have had to decrease the amount of the hops you used to bitter.

If I remember right the bittering addition hops were 5.2% and I used my own home grown for the rest, so I have no idea what their AA rate is.

I dropped dry hops to 1 oz and found it much more tolerable. I'm making a 3rd batch of this soon. Im trying 3 oz of orange peel and also trying Amarillo in the middle instead of straight cascade.

This has become my house pale ale.

I brewed this one a few weeks ago. I found it with Beer Smith, but I used the Wyeast Farmhouse blend. I kegged it yesterday and it tastes like bitter bubble gum... :( I don't know what happened with this one. Fermentation temps were about 68-70F

9 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 81.8 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 2 9.1 %
1 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 3 9.1 %
1.00 oz Cascade [5.90 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 4 24.3 IBUs
4.00 Items Orange Peel - fresh (Boil 10.0 mins) Flavor 5 -
1.00 oz Cascade [5.90 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 6 8.0 IBUs
0.83 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 10.0 mins) Spice 7 -
1.00 oz Cascade [5.90 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 8 4.4 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [5.90 %] - Boil 1.0 min Hop 9 1.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg American Farmhouse Blend (White Labs #WLP670) [50.28 ml] Yeast 10 -
2.00 oz Cascade [5.90 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 11 0.0 IBUs

Ahh well, probably a poor yeast choice.

This sounds like a great brew but to use up 6 oz of one hop on a PA is a bit too much for me. That would be nearly all of my Cascades gone when I have about 20 other hops that I could support them with. I haven't read all posts but can anyone report on a hop combination that turned out as good as the original?

I have Citra, summit, Willamette, Amarillo, falconer's slight, nugget, simceo, and lots of other hops but was for some reason thinking that Super Styrian would fit in there somehow. Should be similar to Northern Brewer - do you think that would work with the orange and coriander, and cascade of course? :)

This sounds like a great brew but to use up 6 oz of one hop on a PA is a bit too much for me. That would be nearly all of my Cascades gone when I have about 20 other hops that I could support them with. I haven't read all posts but can anyone report on a hop combination that turned out as good as the original?

I have Citra, summit, Willamette, Amarillo, falconer's slight, nugget, simceo, and lots of other hops but was for some reason thinking that Super Styrian would fit in there somehow. Should be similar to Northern Brewer - do you think that would work with the orange and coriander, and cascade of course? :)

I made a version of this with citra and cascade and it was awesome! Stick with a couple different hop types and stay away from the resiney hops like simcoe. With a pale, keep it simple!

I made a version of this with citra and cascade and it was awesome! Stick with a couple different hop types and stay away from the resiney hops like simcoe. With a pale, keep it simple!

Thanks for the reply. :mug:

I might just give that a go - a 50/50 Citra/Cascade combination.
I'll probably use Columbus for the 60 min addition.
Might take a few months but I'll report back when done :tank:

I was thinking of brewing this recipe but adding some ahtanum hops late in the boil. I heard they have an orange flavor/aroma. (I've never used them before) Does this sound like a good idea?

I brewed this recipe this morning. Went well since this is my 6th all grain batch I've done. Getting my system pretty dialed in. Smelled incredible. Can't wait till this is fermented, bottled, and ready to enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

So I'm going to get around to brewing this quicker than expected.
I have 5 or 6 hours spare time this weekend :ban:

So it will be a 5 gallon BIAB.
Like I said above I'll bitter with Columbus and do 50/50 Cascade/Citra but will only do 1.5 Oz for the dry hop.

Only thing I'm not sure of is what type of orange to use.
I have dried bitter orange (curacao) left over from a Wit would that be OK instead of the sweet orange or am I better to use the peel of a few fresh organic oranges?

So I have made this recipe and it turned out awesome. Now I want to repeat the recipe again, and my question has to do with the orange zest.

I went to the local HBS and bought a couple ounces, but I noticed that it came with pith on the other side. If I wanted to make my own zest how much would it take. Should I still use 2 ounces or maybe use less or more.

Back