American Pale Ale Cascades / Orange Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just had a few questions before I brew this beer this weekend:

1. My LHBS didn't have sweet orange zest...only bitter. How much fresh zest do I need? I think I read maybe 4.0oz of fresh zest instead of 2.0oz of packaged sweet.

2. How long will fresh zest keep? I zested an orange on maybe Monday (ziploc'ed it and put it in fridge) and then another last night. The Monday zest looks darker and not nearly as bright orange as the newer stuff.

3. Is everyone pitching two 11.5 gram packs of S04 or just one? I bought two just in case.

Just had a few questions before I brew this beer this weekend:

1. My LHBS didn't have sweet orange zest...only bitter. How much fresh zest do I need? I think I read maybe 4.0oz of fresh zest instead of 2.0oz of packaged sweet.

I'm not real precise when I use fresh. Last time I used three large (baseball sized) oranges. Make sure not to get very much of the pith (white stuff) in the boil pot. Just grate it right into the boiling wort. It smells awesome.:D

2. How long will fresh zest keep? I zested an orange on maybe Monday (ziploc'ed it and put it in fridge) and then another last night. The Monday zest looks darker and not nearly as bright orange as the newer stuff.

Not a clue.

3. Is everyone pitching two 11.5 gram packs of S04 or just one? I bought two just in case.

This is my personal preference, some might say that 2 packs is overpitching. I just do it as a shortcut to making a starter (I am rarely organized enough to get that done!)

I'm not real precise when I use fresh. Last time I used three large (baseball sized) oranges. Make sure not to get very much of the pith (white stuff) in the boil pot. Just grate it right into the boiling wort. It smells awesome.:D

Thanks for the reply. How was the orange flavor with the zest of 3 large oranges? Would you use the same, more or less next time?

Thanks for the reply. How was the orange flavor with the zest of 3 large oranges? Would you use the same, more or less next time?

I don't like a punch in the face with the orange aroma - with three fresh zested it ends up being about the same as the dried, IMHO. Mostly it's about the aroma.

I think I am going to experiment with this: I am going to do this as a second running/party gyle after draining grains for AHS's Pliny and adding 1/2 lb malto dextrin and 1 lb Crystal 60L for 15 minutes. Looking forward to this. The beauty of homebrewing is you can do whatever you want :)

I think I am going to experiment with this: I am going to do this as a second running/party gyle after draining grains for AHS's Pliny and adding 1/2 lb malto dextrin and 1 lb Crystal 60L for 15 minutes. Looking forward to this. The beauty of homebrewing is you can do whatever you want :)

True dat, true dat. Let me know how it turns out!

will post when consumed. Right now I am waiting my over due barley crusher. Hope to get it soon, itching to brew. I have already identified the next 6 beers I want to brew and have the bulk grain order set to go (to AHS of course, with their free shipping on $100+ orders).

So people use 2 packs of s-04 based off what it says in the op or is one packet fine?

Would s-05 be ok also or would it ferment too much?

So people use 2 packs of s-04 based off what it says in the op or is one packet fine?

Would s-05 be ok also or would it ferment too much?

I use two packets only because I prefer to. One is fine for five gallons. I'm going to assume that by 'ferment too much' you mean will there be a perceptible difference between using that and the 04. 05 finishes a bit cleaner, 04 tends to leave a bit of a bready character. If you have no comparison (assuming you've never made this particular beer before) I'd say the difference to you would be minimal.

I use two packets only because I prefer to. One is fine for five gallons. I'm going to assume that by 'ferment too much' you mean will there be a perceptible difference between using that and the 04. 05 finishes a bit cleaner, 04 tends to leave a bit of a bready character. If you have no comparison (assuming you've never made this particular beer before) I'd say the difference to you would be minimal.

Gotcha. Guess I will just see what the hb store has.

Couldn't over pitching also be bad?

Niiiice. Gonna brew this on Sat. I'm pumped!

Basically just need the coriander and I am good to go.

Niiiice. Gonna brew this on Sat. I'm pumped!

Basically just need the coriander and I am good to go.

Don't crush it up too fine. You want a rough peppergrinder consistency. If you crush it down to dust it will take forever to drop out of solution.

can you use coriander seed?

or dried coriander?

or do you use fresh?

also, how long do you dry hop for in the secondary? or primary for that matter?

Brewed this on 1/29 and it is seriously the fastest beer I have had to start fermenting. Not even 24 hrs and it was going pretty good. This was all with one pack of S-04 too.

I can't wait to keg this beer.

I do, but its the first time I have made it so I am not sure how its going to come out.

Grains:

5 lbs 2-Row
5 lbs White Wheat Malt
0.5 lbs Torrified Wheat

Hops:

1 oz Hallertauer (4.6%) at 30 min
1 oz Sazz (4.0%) at flameout

Adjuncts:

.14 oz (4g) Grains of Paradise (crushed) at 20 min
1.4 oz Key Lime Zest at 12 min

For yeast I used Safale US-05

I have made this with lemon zest instead of key lime for my sister's wedding and it came out very well. Similar to a Sam Adams Summer but with a little more lemon to back it up. OG is supposed to be 1.050 at 64% efficiency.

Awesome! Any tweaks or tips you recommend?

yeah, don't forget to filter with grain bag when racking from carboy to bottles :mug:

in all seriousness though, I found that if you want orange flavor and orange aroma, stick with your recipe. If you only want orange aroma, decrease it in half. That's obvious though.

I happened to stumble upon an experiment though and I can't figure it out for the life of me. This latest batch was all brewed together, but split into 2 carboys. OG was obviously the same but FG for carboy A finished at 1.013 and the other at 1.014. Dry hop additions were equal. 5 gallons were kegged and 5 gallons were bottled. Both carbed appropriately but this OPA coming from the keg had much more noticeable bitterness compared to the bottled beer.

Thoughts?

So I just dry hopped this and had an odd question.

I put the hops in a muslim bag and put some chrome ball bearings in there to help weigh the bag down and submerse the hops. I didn't think about it then but now that I think about it...was that a good idea?

I hope the chrome ball bearings don't start to rust otherwise this entire batch will be a waste.

Just tasted one of these after two weeks in bottle. Really nice. Not ready yet of course. Got a keg of it carbing up also.
Think this came out really good.
Thanks for the recipe.

So I just dry hopped this and had an odd question.

I put the hops in a muslim bag and put some chrome ball bearings in there to help weigh the bag down and submerse the hops. I didn't think about it then but now that I think about it...was that a good idea?

I hope the chrome ball bearings don't start to rust otherwise this entire batch will be a waste.

So what happened with the chrome? I, personally, would drink a beer with a rusty nut in it. Not sure about you.

Just try to incorporate it into a name, like:

Ballsy Cascade or
Chrome Dome Foam

I have my second batch of this beer in the 2ndary being dry hopped right now.. Loking forward to it! i enjoyed the first batch but felt like I had too much orange so I cut back a bit on this batch... Wish me luck!

So what happened with the chrome? I, personally, would drink a beer with a rusty nut in it. Not sure about you.

Gonna find out tomorrow when I keg it. Will keep ya updated.

Just try to incorporate it into a name, like:

Ballsy Cascade or
Chrome Dome Foam

Haha. I really hope all the chrome is still on their.

So the chrome was no match for the beer.

Beer - 1
Chrome - 0

Got this in the keg now so we shall see what it tastes like in a bit.

Have this beer in primary almost at 2 weeks. Wondering if I can keg and natural carb this weekend??? Getting anxious to try it.

Have mine in primary now only 3 days and the aroma coming out of the airlock is awesome. Can't wait to taste.

Hey, congradulations to me, this is my 200th post :ban::tank:

Have this beer in primary almost at 2 weeks. Wondering if I can keg and natural carb this weekend??? Getting anxious to try it.

protip: dryhop in the corny.

Have mine in primary now only 3 days and the aroma coming out of the airlock is awesome. Can't wait to taste.

Hey, congradulations to me, this is my 200th post :ban::tank:

Doesn't it smell great? I love the aroma of this beer.

Latest posts

Back