Cascade has two leaf shapes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tapout

Reaction score
I planted 5 rhizomes of Cascade. Only 2 took and then one of those died. The remaining plant is going strong :) and put up two good bines, but one has heart(ish) looking leaves and the other has leaves with 3 distinct lobes. Sorry, no pics. Is it normal to have multiple leaf shapes on the same plant?

This is my first attempt at growing hops.

Thanks.

While leaf shape is notoriously variable in hops, you'd normally get something similar on different bines from the same rhizome. I suspect what you had in the original pot was the Cascade rhizome as advertised that's picked up a "passenger" in the form of a seedling from somewhere else. Wait until winter to dig them up and I suspect you'll find two separate rhizomes.

Yes. Unilobed leaves are common on smaller plants, bigger plants tend to make more lobes. Give it time.

2nd year nuggets, has some huge leafs with a few that are not.
IMG_20190715_120007375_HDR.jpg

If I uploaded it correctly, I've attached a pic of both bines. These came from the same rhizome cutting.

Attachments

• 20190715_192511.jpg
    20190715_192511.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 53
Looks just like the leaves on my Cascade plants when they are at that stage of growth. When the grow more mine develop 5 lobed leaves.

Thanks, Jonas. I see hop cones on each type so I'll just wait and see what comes about.

Back