Cascade/Extra Light DME SMaSH advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yermej

Reaction score
I was lucky enough to recently get a pound of Cascade (4.6% AA) pellets and, as a home brew beginner, I want to use them in a SMaSH to get an idea of their flavor/aroma. I'd appreciate any comments/advice regarding this recipe, which is sort of shooting for a blonde ale (I think):

2 lb Extra Light Dry Extract
4 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (late addition)
1 oz Cascade 60 minutes
.75 oz Cascade 15 minutes
.75 oz Cascade 0 minutes
SafAle English Ale yeast (S-04)

estimates from Beer Smith:
OG: 1.052
FG: 1.014
ABV: 5.06%
IBU: 20.4
SRM: 3.6

ferment @ 60° F
keg with 14 PSI @ 38° F (2.8 volumes CO2)

So, will this suck? Worth making? Thanks for any advice you have.

Personally I would kick up the IBUs to between 25 and 30 if you want an even balance between malt and hops...20.4 will make for a slightly maltier brew.Otherwise it's a good smash idea...it also proves that you don't have to be an allgrainer to try SMaSHing.

If your doing a full volume boil, but doing the late extract addition, your boiling wort gravity will be ~1.015, so you'll get better hop utilization than what Beer Smith is calculating. Using Tinseth's calculator from realbeer.com, I calculate ~30IBU.

http://www.realbeer.com/hops/bcalc_js.html

Sorry, forgot to mention that it'll be a two gallon boil. I think Beer Smith compensates for that and the late addition. I'll double check and probably bump the recipe up closer to 30 IBU. Thanks for your comments.

I'm with Revvy on upping the IBUs a little, though it looks like you may be there already. The only other thing I'd change, which is entirely a matter of personal preference, would be to use US-05 or Nottingham as the yeast, as they finish slightly drier than S-04. But S-04 works great too, so whatever yeast you go for I bet it'll be a great beer.

Back