Cascade/Centenniel IPA recipe critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WI_Wino

Reaction score
I've been playing around with a cascade/centennial IPA recipe. I usually buy my ingredients per brew and not in bulk, you'll see the quantities represent that. Any comments/thoughts welcome. I use BrewTarget for my brewing software.

IPA I (under construction) - American IPA
Batch Size: 5 gal
OG: 1.063
FG: 1.016
ABV: 6.1%
Bitterness: 63.9 IBUs (Tinseth)
Color: 5 SRM (Morey)

3 lbs DME - Pilsen Light
3 lbs DME - Golden Light
1 lb Dextrose
6 oz Caramel Malt 40L

Hops
Magnum (pellet) 13.5% 1 oz 60 min 44.3 IBU
Centennial (pellet) 10.5% 1 oz 10 min 12.5 IBU
Cascade (pellet) 6.0% 1oz 10 min 7.1 IBU
Cascade (leaf) 6.0% 0.5 oz 0 min
Centennial (leaf) 10.5% 0.5 0 min
Cascade (leaf) 6.0% 0.5 oz Dry Hop
Centennial (leaf) 10.5% 0.5 oz Dry Hop

US-05

I like the hop schedule, IBU/GU ratio and the yeast choice. The fermentables are solid for an extract batch but why the Dextrose?

To bump up the ABV a bit w/o adding body, i.e. dry it out. Really let the hops shine I think, I should probably make two batches one with and one w/o and do a side by side comparison :)

Centennials and Cascades are very similar in the "grapefruity/citrusy" flavor catagory. I like them both a lot. I make an Amber hopped up with just Cascades (for bittering and aroma) and it comes out malty and citrusy but not too bitter. However if I want that nice bitterness along with the citrus, I use Centennials in the early boil.

Your recipie looks pretty good to me, and I don't like IPA's! :)

Gary

If you want to dry it out and concentrate on the hops the sugar addition is suitable.

Why use the leaf in the dry hop? Is it easier to filter out?

Just asking - I have not tried dry-hopping yet.

That looks tasty to me! I might double up the dry hop, using an ounce of each.

Why use the leaf in the dry hop? Is it easier to filter out?

Just asking - I have not tried dry-hopping yet.

I've heard that leaf hops lend more aroma than pellets. Also easier to siphon around although pellet hops can't be that hard, right (just bag them?). I haven't done a lot of dry hopping though.

Pellets or whole... They both will add the same amount of aroma to your beer. However... an ounce of whole hops will steal roughly 1/2 gallon of your beer as they absorb it. That's the main reason I use pellets for dry hops.

I use a sanitized muslin bag for pellets. Some weight the bag down with marbles, but I don't. Even if it's floating on top... it will add aroma.

Gary

I just toss the pellets straight into the brew for dry hopping. They'll break down and sink to the bottom with the rest of the sediment in a couple of days. Then I just siphon the clear beer off of the top and into my bottling bucket when it's done.

Looks good! I would dry hop with pellets, but I would do at least 2 ounces.

WI_Wino said:
I've been playing around with a cascade/centennial IPA recipe. I usually buy my ingredients per brew and not in bulk, you'll see the quantities represent that. Any comments/thoughts welcome. I use BrewTarget for my brewing software.

IPA I (under construction) - American IPA
Batch Size: 5 gal
OG: 1.063
FG: 1.016
ABV: 6.1%
Bitterness: 63.9 IBUs (Tinseth)
Color: 5 SRM (Morey)

3 lbs DME - Pilsen Light
3 lbs DME - Golden Light
1 lb Dextrose
6 oz Caramel Malt 40L

Hops
Magnum (pellet) 13.5% 1 oz 60 min 44.3 IBU
Centennial (pellet) 10.5% 1 oz 10 min 12.5 IBU
Cascade (pellet) 6.0% 1oz 10 min 7.1 IBU
Cascade (leaf) 6.0% 0.5 oz 0 min
Centennial (leaf) 10.5% 0.5 0 min
Cascade (leaf) 6.0% 0.5 oz Dry Hop
Centennial (leaf) 10.5% 0.5 oz Dry Hop

US-05

I'd bump the dry hop up to at least 2oz or maybe even 3.

Ordered up the ingredients Xmas night and got them yesterday. Using all pellet hops. Planning on brewing this weekend. The physics major in me is thinking of calling it MC2 (squared).

This finally carbed up a couple weeks ago. It's got great bitterness and decent hop aroma but not enough hop flavor. If I brew this again I would double up on the 10 minute addition or maybe add an ounce each of cascade/centennial at 5 minutes. Maybe more dry hop as well.

In our all grain version we use a little rye to dry it out along with mash hops. They give it a lingering hop flavor. We also do 60 min., 20 min., and Flame out hops. I dry hopped with a hop bag and whole cascades in the keg. There was no reason to pull the bag out, it didn't last very long!! We had Centennial at 60, Centennial and Cascade at 20 and all Cascade at flame out.

Your's sounds like a nice beer too!

My ipa consists of

9 pounds pale 2 row
1 pound crystal 60
0.5 lb carapils
2 oz cascade at 60
1 oz cascade at 15
1 oz cascade at flame out
2 oz cascade dry hop for 8 days

1396548672165.jpg

Back