cascade boiling and dryhopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Typically you need to do something to bitter your beer during the boil. Late additions of hops at 15, 0 and dry hop don't really do much for bittering.

Cascade is a good multi-purpose hop for bittering and doesn't cost so much that it needs to be used sparingly.

If you have a recipe that calls for hops at 60 and 30 minutes, it'll be easier to substitute another hop that isn't expensive if you wish. Still probably not quite the same flavor and aroma, but I've never tried.

You also have to compare the alpha acid amounts to get the same bittering .

Is it good practice to do both in a recipe?

Classically there were boil hops for bitterness, flavor hops at about -15 minutes, later (i.e. flame-out) for smell. Then dry hopping if you felt a little crazy.

Today you can add hops at any point in time from mash to after fermentation and cold-crashing. There's no longer a proper or best thing to do.

Have to work it backwards - decide what you'd like to end up with, and then figure out how to get there.

Brewers Friend captures recipe creation date!

In a IPA clone recipe I saw that Cascade was used as well for dry hopping and for 30 minutes boil. Is it good practice to do both in a recipe?

Lagunitas IPA Clone | English IPA All Grain Beer Recipe by Ozarks Mountain Brew | Brewer's Friend
For this recipe, was "Created Tuesday December 25th 2012".

For a recipe of that "era", it appears to follow "good practices".

My guess is that, in 2022, it would make an enjoyable beer. :mug:

Latest posts

Back