Carrageen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobBailey

Reaction score
My wife's cousin brought me some carrageen from Ireland. This is sun dried carrageen and is still in whole form. Just wondering if anyone has experience using it in this form or should I stick it in the food processor and powder it. In the whole form how much would I use in a 5 gallon batch?

Thanks,

Bob

So what you have is equal to what the brew stores sell as Irish moss. If I recall correctly, they recommend 1 tsp(?) per 5 gallons. I once used it and it worked OK if you added it with about 30 minutes to go in the boil. Grinding it into small pieces will make it more readily soluble.

I have switched to Whirlfloc which is the same thing but only refined to concentrate the carrageenan a bit. I use very little (1/8 tsp) per 5 gallons.

Dr Malt :mug:

I was given a jar of 5-Star's "Super Moss," which is carrageenan, the active ingredient in Irish Moss. The jar says to only use 1/4 tsp. in a 5-gallon batch, and it works.

My wife's cousin brought me some carrageen from Ireland. This is sun dried carrageen and is still in whole form. Just wondering if anyone has experience using it in this form or should I stick it in the food processor and powder it. In the whole form how much would I use in a 5 gallon batch?

Thanks,

Bob

Was it at least rinsed in fresh water before drying? If not, there is likely quite a bit of sea salt still on and/or in the stuff. Just something to think about before using it on your beer. Regards, GF.

Thanks for the replies. The packages actually tell you to rinse well before using, so I planned on doing that. Guess I'll try in in my next brew. I figure at the rates you recommend, I have a lifetime supply.

Thanks again,

Bob

My first few extract kits said to use 1/4 tsp Irish moss. After reading many recipes that call for a full teaspoon, I bumped up to that and my beers have been much clearer.

Irish Moss is big business around here. They harvest it with horses and large rakes in shallow sea water.

Someday I would like to make my own beer from scratch, grow my own barley (or get it from my farmer friend) I just planted my hops and I could pick my own moss of the beach (breaking the German purity law). the only thing I will buy is yeast.

Back