Caribou Slobber taste great, but has strange very bitter after taste on back on tongue.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rival178

Reaction score
My Caribou Slobber has a very good taste, it's only been in the keg for about a week with some force carbonation. Currently I have it set to about 43 degrees with 12PSI. The beer pours fine and taste fine at first, but once I swallow the bitterness really kicks in on the back of the tongue and it's not good.

Any idea what would cause this?

Certain malts can have harsh aftertaste before matured in the bottle/keg. I would give it a few more weeks.

Certain malts can have harsh aftertaste before matured in the bottle/keg. I would give it a few more weeks.

^^^ yup. Especially some of those generic domestic 2 row malts used in kits.

Thanks, I'll let it sit for another week or so, what interesting is that it seems to be work with more carbonation. If I pull back the co2 to 7 or 8 psi the bitter aftertaste is not as bad..

Matt

You could be experiencing carbonic acid bite from the CO2. The Slobber could also need some aging if you gave it a very short time in the primary.

I gave it 2 weeks in the primary, and it's been in the keg for 1 week today. What is carbonic acid bite and can I adjust something at this point to help with the after taste?

Matt

You could be experiencing carbonic acid bite from the CO2. The Slobber could also need some aging if you gave it a very short time in the primary.

I gave it 2 weeks in the primary, and it's been in the keg for 1 week today. What is carbonic acid bite and can I adjust something at this point to help with the after taste?

Matt
CO2 produces carbonic acid. Reducing the CO2 volume in the beer, (pouring with less foam) could help. What will help is more time aging in the keg. Primary was very short and only one week in the keg/bottle equals very green beer.

I give my Slobber not less than three weeks in the primary. I don't take the first taste until it has been in the bottle for at least three weeks.

Two weeks in the primary is more than enough time. I'd guess your psi is a bit too high.

I Find that any recipe with chocolate/patent/darker grains needs aging like a good stew -- like a month.

One man's opinion.

Back