Caribou Slobber smells a bit off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uncletarr

Reaction score
I'm bottling a caribou slobber extract today that has been in the primary fermenter for 24 days. I noticed when I took off the lid of my fermenter to prepare to siphon the beer into my bottling bucket that I was practically punched in the face by the aroma of the beer. I seriously thought it burnt my nose hairs, it was like taking a whiff of rubbing alcohol.

The only thing I wish I would have done better was pitching the yeast at a lower temperature. I pitched the yeast at 79 degrees F. Fermentation temps were at room temperature.

I doubt this is normal but does anyone know what may have caused this and if there's anything I can do to save this batch?

Did you get a snootful of co2? Take a taste, put some in a glass and let it sit for a few minutes. If it still smells bad or tastes bad it might be a dumper. If it smells and tastes OK - proceed.

Could be high fermentation temp. How does it taste? (basically, what kh54s10 said).

You say the beer fermented at "room temperature" - what are we talking about here? Room temp will vary wildly depending on where you live. Right now in Michigan, my room temp is 66f. In the summer, it's sometimes 87f. Huge difference in fermenting right there. Also, it would be helpful to know if this was all grain or extract, and what your process was like.

I fall for the CO2 burn almost everytime! I get ready to bottle or rack and can't help but take a whiff and boom, nostrils are on fire. Do your thing and leave a small sample to smell/taste

As the others have said, it could be CO2 burn or it could be a result of high ferm temps. Taste it and see. If it tastes like nail polish remover, that's from high ferm temps and there's not much that can be done about it other than do a better job of controlling your ferm temps next time. If the whiff you got was akin to burping Pepsi through your nose, that's CO2 burn and it's normal.

Sorry guys but I think I cried wolf there. I poured some in a glass and tasted it and it's definitely drinkable although a little bitter. Maybe that will go away from sitting in bottles for a couple weeks.

Thanks for all the quick replies. It's great to have a forum like this as a resource for any questions.

Back