Caribou slobber brown FG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IanPC

Reaction score
My OG was 1052. And my fg is 1013. For anyone who's tried this brew, do these numbers seem good?

Define "good"

What were your projected OG and FG. If its close to this I would say its "good"

I'm looking for a rough estimate of an fg for it. Most people seem to be saying 1020 where as mine is down around 1013 or thereabouts. Good as in good enough to bottle I guess. Is there such a thong as too low?

1.020 is often a sticking point for extract brews but 1.052 to 1.013 sounds within normal range to me. If it is an all grain brew and it stopped at 1.020 I would really like to see a lower number.

You can calculate where the FG might end up by taking the OG and using the expected attenuation of the yeast used. but that is beyond my math skills especially since I have already consumed 2 homebrews today.

Ya the math gets me at some points, plus I'm fairly new at this. Thank you very much for your help!

I made this a few months back. I can't find my notes on it, but if I remember correctly my fg was 1.014. It was a great beer. One of those that is gone within two weeks.

I was pondering weather I should cold crash it to get some clarity...is it even worth it?

Mine finished at 1012, so I bet you're good. How long did you primary for? Mine is brilliantly clear - though I guess it sat for about 6 weeks in primary (stupid life, getting in the way of my beer). Anyway, little cloudy won't hurt a thing.

2 weeks primary. 3 weeks secondary. I secondary to free up my primary.

I've had really good luck with the secondary. I understand why people don't, but I'm comfortable with it.

Yeah it's definitely a personal preference. I just like to turn beers to clear up more fermentation space.

I have a bottling/fermentation bucket, a 5 gal glass carboy, and a 6.5 gal glass carboy. I usually do two extracts around the same time and let them run.

4 weeks primary, 2 weeks in the bottle.

Actually this past weekend I cracked a few open after only one week in the bottle. Suprisingly they were nicely carbonated and very drinkable. Good kit!

Back