Cardamom seeds

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gent1987

Reaction score
I'm just looking for some advice on how much cardamom seeds to add to a 5 gallon batch. Also wondering what the process is (add to end of boil, crush them)? I think they come in a 1 ounce bag. Has anyone had a really great recipe with cardamom seeds?

What type of beer are you brewing?

Cardamom is pretty potent stuff. Are you using black or green?

I'm just looking to brew a pretty average ale with higher alcohol and some cardamom seeds. It looks like black in midwestsupplies. I guess it says to use a half teaspoon in a 5 gallon batch. Does that sound right? I just wondered if anyone has experimented with it and what was the best amount to use.

Go to your local Indian grocery store. You can buy them extremely cheaply and they store very well for a long period of time.

I am am going to clone New Belgium's Farmhouse Ale. The recipe is kinda vague it calls for " 1/2 to 2 tsp. cardamon" Do I use the whole pod or just the seeds inside of the pod ? I have Black Cardamom pods that I got from a Indian grocery store, 1/4lb for $2

Any body experiment with the differences between crushed pods, and just the seeds ?

Ive been experimenting with Indian cooking latley.

The black seeds will give a more smokey flavor while the green give a lighter 'citrusy' aroma.

I've been working on a recipe calling for both green cardamom whole pods and kafir lime leaves. Its all on paper right now, but Im going to add 2 tsps to a 3 gallon batch and see what happens.

How did your turn out?

How did these recipe's turn out? Does anyone have any flavor resources I could look up to get a better idea what to expect from this spice?

Thanks!

-Okt

fyi there are two black pods inside every green pod. black cardamom just has the green husk removed. (unless i'm mistaken)

Back