Carboy volcano

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcavers

Reaction score
Not necessarily a fermentation/yeast related question, but this looks like the best place for the question. My apologies if I've put this in the wrong place.

Last night my friends and I dry-hopped an IPA that's been in secondary for about two weeks. Fermentation was finished and the beer had cleared out - OG was around 1.060 and FG somewhere around 1.012 or a bit lower. Sorry - don't have the original notes here. But you get the idea. The carboys were sitting at around 64 degrees; the yeast used was Wyeast 1450.

I usually dry-hop by adding pellets to an empty carboy and then racking beer on top of the pellets. The guys I brew with, though, opted to wait two weeks and then add the pellets to the beer so that they could sit in the beer for a final week before bottling.

Anyway, the 10 gallon batch was split between two 5 gallon carboys. When 1 oz of hop pellets (Amarillo in one, Cascade in the other) were poured in, both carboys immediately turned into beer foam volcanoes. Huge amounts of CO2 immediately were released and the foam went everywhere. Needless to say, the dry hops mostly went right back out the mouth of the carboy.

Not feeling very optimistic about this batch - I think that the clean-up process involved a fair amount of contamination risk. But my question is - WHAT HAPPENED? Why did adding hop pellets to finished beer result in a carboy volcano?

nucleation.

Yep. The hops provided nucleation points, and the co2 in the beer caused it to volcano out.

That happens if you add things to wine, too, like nutrients and stuff, if there is gas (co2) in the liquid.

It might have worked a bit better to add just a few (for those nucleation points) at first, and then add the rest.

I do it all the time, but I add dryhops to my buckets generally and not carboys. It still does that a bit, but not nearly as bad since there is more headspace in the bucket.

Thanks for the tip, guys - that makes intuitive sense. Will be more careful in future. Fingers crossed for those 10 gallons of delicious nectar...

Back