Carboy temperature readings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerisyummy

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Question for the hive mind. I ferment in glass carboys. I have the stick-on thermometer and another thermometer to measure the ambient temperature of the room. After the fermentation slows down or stops, I consistently get a temperature reading about two degrees colder on the glass than in the room. Anyone conversant with applicable thermodynamics in this situation & can tell me what is going on?
  • Do the stick-on thermometers suck?
  • Is my other thermometer likely mis-calibrated?
  • Is the glass a different temperature than the air or the liquid?
  • Do glass carboys "hold the cold?"
  • Should I just use the temp. probe all the time even if I'm not using the heating pad?
  • Should I just relax and have a home-brew?

My Stick-on thermometers are quite in agreement with my room thermometers,which are two and quite in agreement between themselves.

So it is possible that one of the thermometers is imprecise (or both!).

Solid glass is an excellent conductor, and the mass of wort/beer will dominate whatever temperature reading is taken.
I once did a series of comparisons between strapped-on probes vs thermowells and never found the two disagree by more than 1°F, even as the chamber was ramping up or down. I didn't include the stick-ons as it wasn't pertinent, but an accurate one should fairly mimic a strapped-on sensor (aside from resolution, of course)...

Cheers!

Not sure I’d be concerned about 2 degrees, and if I was going to worry about accuracy I’d be concerned about the carboy and not the room temp.

Back