Carboy Storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fattony911

Reaction score
Hey guys im new to this and will be getting my first kit on Friday. I was wonderin what the ideal place for the carboy should be like to be stored in. I live in Florida, will it be alright to let it ferment outside in the shade? Thanks

You're going to be way too hot outside. Most ales want to ferment at around 70 degrees. Higher than that, they'll ferment - often quicker - but often with off flavors. If you don't have AC, you can either wrap the carboy with a wet towel, with a fan blowing on it to keep it cool, or get a big tub and let it sit in an ice/water bath. I can't see how you would be able to contol temp down there, not to mention keeping everything fairly well sanitized and keeping alll the critters out. Temp, though, is pretty critical - it's about 95 up here in MA, stupid hot, how hot is it down there?

Hey bird and thanks for responding so quickly, I can keep it inside where i have a de-humidifier and ac is at a constant 74.8 roughly lol. Outside it varies, from Mid 80's up to 100's, it's really the humidity that kills. My main problem was is it going to be smelling up my closet, also will it be fine in a dark place like that? My first batch is just extract and i decided to go with the coopers draught... i hope i made a good choice and i will start the brewing process as soon as i get back from the keys.

you will notice some smells, but it shouldnt be too stinky unless you have a beer-cano spewing out of your carboy. ive never had too bad of an odor problem with mine at least. i live with an obsessive compulsive wife too. so smellyness definitely would have been a problem. :)

And a dark place (like a closet) is ideal. You don't want light to hit your brew. Some people on this board don't have a closet to use, and they dress their carboys in wet t-shirts to keep light out, and to keep it cool. I just throw a towel over the carboy in the laundry room.

Lorena

sweet thanks, one last question im using LME just one can in my first batch, is it possible to use 2 cans for a 5 gal. batch opposed to the recc. 1 can also can i mix and match malt extracts? Thanks and can't believe how helpfull you guys have been.

fattony911 said:
sweet thanks, one last question im using LME just one can in my first batch, is it possible to use 2 cans for a 5 gal. batch opposed to the recc. 1 can also can i mix and match malt extracts? Thanks and can't believe how helpfull you guys have been.

you can use two cans. we did a winter ale last year that called for two cans.. i dont remember of what, but it was a good head shaker thats for sure!!

I live in Florida and I use the methods that the_bird pointed out....a tub with water in it, change out frozen water bottles to keep the temp around 70, while sitting in a dark closet.

Yeah, dark closet is perfect. You may want to have a blow-off tube if you have some goofy-looking shirts to protect (inside joke). But what you describe sounds perfect.

Do you have a recipe you're working off from, or did you just buy a can of extract? If so, ignore the direction on the can, they are usually worhless. Are you using a hopped mix, or do you have separate hops? It's easy to make good beer, people are more than happy to get you started doing it the *right*way.

uhm I had planned on dry hopping on my first try but i guess the kit i bought is just LME Its Cooppers Draught, i dont really have a recipe, what do you mean by blow off tube? or was that the joke haha. My real biggest concern is sanitation. Any help would be appreciated Thanks-Alex

If you have yet to see the entire process from beginning to end, you might want to take a peek at an article I wrote called Homebrewing 101

It has most of the major steps you will need to do, and since you are doing an extract, you can skip the entire section on mashing and whereas I had an issue with it being too cold in the winter, you have the opposite problem in Summer.

If you decide you like the hobby, you might want to concider a fermentation chiller to control your temps. Its cheap and easy to make.

Good luck and be sure to ask for advise if you need it, it is the best bargain on the internet, FREE !

Cheers,

knewshound

Get a small-ish tub (I call em keg tubs cuz kegs and ice go in em) and set your carboy in it. Fill it with a few inches of water and drape a wetted down black shirt or towel around the carboy. Make sure the bottom of the shirt/towel hangs into the water.

The evaporation will wick more moisture up. It should be nice and cool inside your home this way. A fan on it will work even better. Careful though, because if it's in your closet, your clothes could mildew/mold up real easy with all that moisture.

Latest posts

Back