carboy question!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tonybrau

Reaction score
A few years back something possessed me to purchase a 7 gallon glass carboy...these days I only do 5 gallon batchs and the 7 gallon has been collecting dust, I know fermenting a 5 gallon batch in a 7 gallon carboy is a no-no because of too much headspace but would it be alright to use it as a secondary?

Actually, I believe you have it backwards. Fermenting (primary) in a larger carboy is okay because CO2 will collect and fill the headspace or create a layer over the beer. Secondary wants a more appropriate sized carboy to your batch. I wouldn't try to condition in a primary with that much headspace though.

Actually, I believe you have it backwards. Fermenting (primary) in a larger carboy is okay because CO2 will collect and fill the headspace. Secondary wants a more appropriate sized carboy to your batch.

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If anything it will allow you to possibly get away without needing a blowoff tube.

Ah jeez i cant believe i had this backwards all this time...well thanks for clearing that up for me though!

Back