Carboy not full

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B-rad

Reaction score
Hello guys and gals.. Just a quick question.. Just racked my malt extract kit to my carboy.. noticed there was not as much wort as usual in the carboy.. maybe a few litres less then normal.. is this ok?.. i just put the airlock in and put it in my brew closet.. thought id check....

Cheers all!!! and happy Saturday:ban:

RDWHAHB

Headspace is good, especially in primary. If volume is low because you over-did the boiling or underdid the initial amount of water, you could add water to make it"normal", but generally not needed, or worth the trouble (water should be boiled and cooled, and adding it is one more chance to filth things up).

What was your OG? Most likely outcome is you'll have a slightly smaller amount of a slightly bigger beer, unless there's a puddle of wort somewhere between the pot and the primary.

If you "just racked" I am guessing this is secondary. If so, dont add water at this point, a little headspace wont kill you.

Chalk it up to experience and learn from your mistakes. It will still be beer, maybe a little heavier than you intended though ;)

yeah it was to my secondary.,.. the og was 1040... when i racked it was 1008.... just wanted to make sure the extra space wouldnt hurt it.. thanks for the info!!

Cheers!!!

Back