carboy neck marks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powderbock

Reaction score
I've noticed over the past several batches when cleaning my glass carboys they have what appear to be marks from the metal part of my carboy brush. Is this going to be a problem with sanitation? Is it possible t remove these marks? I've tried oxiclean with no improvement.

Here's a guy who has built a better carboy brush, his name is Joe Burgel, look him and his photos up on Facebook. It's a piece of PVC pipe with trimmer string attached. I built one very similar and it works great. No metal parts to scratch the carboy glass! He has a series of photos on his Facebook page detailing the construction of this novel item.

BetterCarboyBrush.jpg

Other than oxyclean, Try soaking it if you can in oxy for awhile even overnight to see if it helps.

If your brush is scratching glass, Spend the dough and get you a new brush.
Lot cheaper to buy a new brush than a carboy, Or ruin a batch of beer because you didnt get it clean enough in 1 crack.

just my .01 on it is all

I have the same scratches around the neck of my carboy from the brushes. What I have been doing lately is wrapping black electrical tape around the metal part of my brush where it would make contact with the neck. This has cut down a whole bunch on the scratches.

I've had those marks from the brush but it isn't a scratch. It's just some of the metal or oxide coating coming off on the carboy neck, it wasn't very hard to wipe off. I now just use oxyclean and my carboy brush just sits in the corner...

If you have marks only on the neck, it could be stress fractures in the glass from the way you are carrying it. If you use one of those carboy handles to carry them, I would bet money on it.

Thanks for all the input. I would have to agree it probably isn't actual scratches as much as the "color" if you will, of the metal brush rubbing off on the glass. Will try the oxi soak and possible some other treatments. As far as them being stress fractures, I highly doubt it. I don't use carboy handles. I carry it at the base.

Back