Carboy Level/Calibration Sticker Prototype

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you're still looking for a very permanent vinyl, look up General Formulations 201HTAP. It's ~3-4mil, but super aggressive adhesive, we use them at work for applying to cotton, holds up very well for that, even better on a hard surface.

Your probably right about no need to etch if the vinyl holds up. I was just volunteering to be the guinea pig and you did bring it up. Also, I was too damn slow to get the free samples. :D

Ok, I finally got around to marking my first carboy. Oh yeah, it's sweet. In a big fat 6.5 gallon, the distance between the quarts is a little tight so I moved them over. In hindsight, I didn't really need it.

IMAG0125.jpg

How about for Better Bottles PET carboys? I would imagine that the 5 and 6 gallon sizes would be the same, from them, since they are pretty new.

I'm interested in these too. I have mostly PET carboys (one 6 gallon, two 5 gallon) for beer, using the glass ones for mead (purchased brand new late last year) in 3 and 5 gallon sizes...

How much will these be, and when will they be available?

I have to see how long it takes me to cut, weed and back mask in a full production run to figure out the price. My gut feeling before doing the figuring is $8 for a two pack. I can get 8 into an envelope and it would ship for 44 cents.

I'll probably add them to the site after a few people try them out.

Does anyone think two triangle/arrows per number is redundant?

Now that I went through the process on my own carboy, I'm confident that I'll be producing these in mass but I'm still not sold on the design 100%. Sure, it's completely functional, but I'd rather have everyone thrilled with the design before I start cranking them out. Two other ideas:

carboy2.jpg

carboy3.jpg

bottom one is nice. it allows the user to go as far as they want, or as simple. I like that it'll keep everything straight in one line too. nice work.

wehumble said:
Bobby, how durable is the vinyl as the shapes get smaller? I like the small line markers but will they hold up as well as the larger triangles?

Good point... These need to hold up during cleaning and use for years. Else, it could hurt your reputation as a quality vendor. I would suggest doing a test on the smaller pieces to see if they can withstand a long PBW soak and agitation/scrubbing.

I like the upper one (of the two in the one posting)...

If this is the same type of vinyl that's used in sign making (I worked at a sign shop for a number of years) then I don't think there's much to worry about for durability. If anything, include an extra one, or two, per order to replace them if they wear too much/fast...

Good point... These need to hold up during cleaning and use for years. Else, it could hurt your reputation as a quality vendor. I would suggest doing a test on the smaller pieces to see if they can withstand a long PBW soak and agitation/scrubbing.

I was with you for the first few sentences but do you really scrub and PBW soak the outside of your carboys?

This type of vinyl is rated for outdoor longevity in the sun and rain for at least 3 years. When I go to production, I plan to actually use a higher end product with a more aggressive adhesive.

I don't think I've ever scrubbed the outside of my carboy, just a wipe with a soft sponge and warm water. I'm sure it'll be a quality/durable product, but let's not be unrealistic here. If you soak your carboy in PBW or caustic I'm sure they will probably wear off.

Great work Bobby! I love that you provide such top notch brewing accessories, I also hope you can stop doing that pesky "day job" thing and have a lucrative business off your site alone! here's to living the dream!

I don't think I've ever scrubbed the outside of my carboy, just a wipe with a soft sponge and warm water. I'm sure it'll be a quality/durable product, but let's not be unrealistic here. If you soak your carboy in PBW or caustic I'm sure they will probably wear off.

You clean your way... I clean my way. :mug:

I dunk the thing in a tub sink filled with hot PBW and leave it sit over night (along with whatever else i may be cleaning; usually bottle). Then everything gets a good wipe down with a green scrubby and a rinse before hitting the drying rack.

I dunk the thing in a tub sink filled with hot PBW and leave it sit over night (along with whatever else i may be cleaning; usually bottle). Then everything gets a good wipe down with a green scrubby and a rinse before hitting the drying rack.

You're too hardcore for me Man! I just wouldn't count on the vinyl stickers to stand up to a long term hot PBW soak.

I only soak the inside. :cross:

That's what I thought too, but obviously some of us take cleaning to a whole new level. :D

Using that much PBW, to me, is just being wasteful. All that really matters, for carboys, bottles, and most other things, is the inside or whatever will actually come into contact with the wort/beer. I can understand removing blow-off (and drips) from a carboy/fermentor, but soaking it in PBW overnight is just nuts.

You're probably also one of the people that takes the antique copper clad pot and scrubs it until looks brand new, on the outside. :eek:

Got the stickers lastnight... I must say I wasn't expecting getting them so fast. I didn't apply the .25 or the .50 or the .75 stickers because I know it is a 6.5 gallon carboy and only make ~5.25gal. batches. I am definitely ready to order another set for my 5 gallon carboy. I am now questioning my first measured sharpie lines, because the 6gal. mark is damn near the same position as the first 6.5gal. mark.

I will take more detailed/higher res. photos once the carboy frees up... I was in a rush to get this new beer I brewed into primary.

292872407_photobucket_34920_.jpg

Sweeeeeet!

Put mine on this morning:

IMAG0098.jpg

I placed them like I did because I primarily do 2.5 gallon batches.

I really appreciate it, Bobby. I WILL be doing business with you in the future when I get the equipment to do full batches.

Thank you!

Got the stickers lastnight... I must say I wasn't expecting getting them so fast. I didn't apply the .25 or the .50 or the .75 stickers because I know it is a 6.5 gallon carboy and only make ~5.25gal. batches. I am definitely ready to order another set for my 5 gallon carboy. I am now questioning my first measured sharpie lines, because the 6gal. mark is damn near the same position as the first 6.5gal. mark.

I will take more detailed/higher res. photos once the carboy frees up... I was in a rush to get this new beer I brewed into primary.

292872407_photobucket_34920_.jpg

I think this goes to show how different a "standard" 6.5 gallon carboy can be. Unless mine is a rare 7 gallon carboy or maybe yours is a 6 gallon? It looks like maybe the fill ratings are right to where the straight wall begins to curve. Metalhed's would be a 5 gal, yours is a 6 gal, and mine is 6.5.

19506d1295669489-carboy-level-calibration-sticker-prototype-imag0125.jpg

My next step is to throw a bunch of the alternate designs on my carboy to see which is best and also cut them all out in a more expensive vinyl with a longer outdoor rating. I know everyone wants long lasting AND inexpensive but most of the time those are mutually exclusive demands :)

What do you guys think for colors? I think the white is obviously visible so I'm leaning that way but would you pay something like $1 extra per strip for an etched glass look?

I think this goes to show how different a "standard" 6.5 gallon carboy can be. Unless mine is a rare 7 gallon carboy or maybe yours is a 6 gallon? It looks like maybe the fill ratings are right to where the straight wall begins to curve. Metalhed's would be a 5 gal, yours is a 6 gal, and mine is 6.5.

19506d1295669489-carboy-level-calibration-sticker-prototype-imag0125.jpg

I really want to remeasure it because I had sharpie lines on it and had it marked all the way up 6.5g. Either my measurements initially were wrong or they are wrong now. I double check and it is a 6.5 gallon carboy

When can I buy these? I like the white look as it would stand out against a good dark beer. I have five carboys and would like to quit guessing.

Lol, I already stay up to 1am every night cutting and weeding the sight stickers and various other brewhardware tasks. I'm trying ;-)

Check this out...

That I'm a home brewer sticker is sweet.

Ok Bobby, I need a couple more sets of these level stickers as well as the homebrewer one. PM me the paypal address.

How are these made Bobby? You say you are cutting them, I assume you have some sort or special cutter template or machine. Just wondering all what is involved.

Latest posts

Back