Carboy Failure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucky7s

Reaction score
Ordered a 6 gal glass craboy from NB which arrived 1/17. Ordered specifically to secondary 5.75 gal of Chocolate Covered Beavr Nutz as I only have ever used 5 gal carboys in the past 5 years. I did a quick inspection upon arrival and placed back in box. Thursday evening after rinsing and sanitizing I racked into secondary along with 10 oz. regular powdered peanut butter and 6.5 oz. chocolate powdered peanut butter and moved to the guest room closet. Last night I ran in and added the cocoa nibs. This morning as I was getting ready for church I noticed a nice brown ring under the carboy. I gently moved the carboy to a nearby bathtub and the only thing I could figure out was there was a hairline crack in the base. I figured i'd rack into a 6 gal Better Bottle I had just purchased from NB on their BOGO sale. As i gently lifted the glass carboy to get it to counter height to siphon there was a small 'pop' and a big flood! I'm left holding the bottom in one hand and the majority of the carboy in the other. Luckily, no blood...but stout, gooey PB and nibs everywhere...even onto the bedroom carpet. 6 hours of cleaning and a not-so-much-amused wife later I'm still PO'd about losing my beer. BTW...NB is sending me a replacement carboy.

Oh the horror!!

I can't imagine a more catastrophic end for a peanut butter stout. At least you didn't get hurt.

Crazy as it sounds: I love glass carboys have used for years but switching to better bottle carboys. heard stories of one losing hand of exploded carboy, another while rinsing and sanitizing just blasted. Safer than Sorry man.

Latest posts

Back