Carboy explosion and yeast questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

P_Bio

Reaction score
I am brewing the shipwreck saison that Channel66 has published on here and I have a little bit of a problem. I grew up about a 1.25L starter of Wyeast 3726 farmhouse ale. My OG was 1062 and I started fermenting at room temp (~70deg) overnight. I was going to wait for fermentation to get started then transfer to a water bath with aquarium heater and attach a blow off tube. Well I waited too long, I woke up the next morning with the airlock blown off, wort overflowing out of the carboy and wort all over my walls and ceiling.

After clean up I lost about 1/2 gallon of wort, and so I capped it and put in the bath as usual. Fermentation looked like it was going strong for several days, then it calmed down. I was maintaining at about 80 degrees.

After 7 days (today) I took a reading and it is only at 1040. So my guess is due to the blow up, I lost a good amount of my yeast. Or was I fermenting too hot? I am open to other suggestions as well.

So what can I do? It smells fine, and tastes okay, so I am not convinced that it is infected (yet). I do have a 1L starter of US-05 that I am growing for another batch, could I throw some of that in there? It's not the same style. If I were to get another pack of farmhouse ale it would take a week for delivery.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys!

What is the optimal fermentation range of WY3726? How many billion yeast cells did you pitch?
What size was your batch and what size was your fermentor?

What is the optimal fermentation range of WY3726? How many billion yeast cells did you pitch?
What size was your batch and what size was your fermentor?

Temp range = 70-95deg
I don't count my cells, but according to beer smith about 295 billion
Batch size was 5.5gal in a 6.5gal carboy

Back