Carboy blow out!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guitarhead2000

Reaction score
Long story short, my carboy is overflowing right now. Carboy cap with 5/16 tubing into a bucket of star san. Tube clogged and blew the siphon cap off. Thankfully I had the wherewithal to sit the carboy in a water filled party tub and cover it with trash bags, just in case.

My question is this, since it is still very active in the fermentation process, should I let it bubble out of the carboy cap and flow into the tub until the krausen drops and then re-cap and blow off / airlock?

I know since fermentation is active and there's a layer of CO2 in the headspace of carboy the chance of infection is low.

Am I freaking out when I should be following Papazian's advice (RDWHAHB)?

Any advice on what action to take? Is it ruined?

Papazian's advice should be taken here!

If it were me, I would just clean up the outside of the carboy, change the water in the party tub, and reinstall the blow off tube after cleaning it out. I doubt that anything has happened to your brew.

Blowing off a blow-off won't in itself ruin a brew, at this point letting the volcano do its thing until it calms down enough to stuff the hose back in or switch to an s-lock is likely the best course. The evolving foam and CO2 should keep the wort protected until it chills out.

fwiw, you can use much larger diameter tubing for a blow-off if you're using 5/6/6.5g glass. 1" ID/1- 1/4" OD vinyl will press into the mouth and form a pretty much gas-tight seal that is unlikely to get plugged...

NEIPA_03.jpg

Cheers!

Long story short, my carboy is overflowing right now. Carboy cap with 5/16 tubing into a bucket of star san. Tube clogged and blew the siphon cap off. Thankfully I had the wherewithal to sit the carboy in a water filled party tub and cover it with trash bags, just in case.

My question is this, since it is still very active in the fermentation process, should I let it bubble out of the carboy cap and flow into the tub until the krausen drops and then re-cap and blow off / airlock?

I know since fermentation is active and there's a layer of CO2 in the headspace of carboy the chance of infection is low.

Am I freaking out when I should be following Papazian's advice (RDWHAHB)?

Any advice on what action to take? Is it ruined?
Part of the Long Story Short was this was my first brew using a glass carboy instead of the bucket. Will definitely heed the advice to use larger tubing.

I ended up taking off cap, used some sanitized foil as a temp cap, rinsed outside of carboy with StarSan. Cleaned tubing with PBW to get gunk off and saniztized it along with a new cap. Added 2 drops of Fermcap (as I probably should have done to begin with) and re capped. Trash bag on top again just to be safe.

Appreciate the support!

Happy Homebrew!

Back