Carboy bigger than stock pots?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spider87

Reaction score
So here's my dilemma, my biggest stock pot is 16qts and I currently have a large carboy and I'm hoping to buy 2 more from a guy on craigslist. I'm not 100% sure of the current one but I believe it to be 10gal or larger and it is in a plastic demijohn. The 2 others are 6gal. I'd prefer not to buy a new stock pot right now if possible. Can I make the batch in pieces? Can i put a 4 gallon batch (2 16qt boils) in a 10gal jug?

Thanks!

I am attaching a picture of my carboy maybe someone can help me estimate the size. It says l.54 on the side of the demijohn and the bottom of the carboy.

EDIT: just found out that means 54L! 14.25gal! Wow!

ForumRunner_20120221_005235.jpg

Headspace in primary is NOT a bad thing. Make a few high gravity batches and top off with water if you want. If the price is right, go for it. You can make it work.

lschiavo said:
Headspace in primary is NOT a bad thing. Make a few high gravity batches and top off with water if you want. If the price is right, go for it. You can make it work.

I was worried because it's my understanding that the yeast needs to run out of oxygen at some point and I was thinking that leaving a lot of head room would leave too much oxygen? Is that not the case?

Also, I hadn't thought of just making a stronger batch and adding the filler after the fact, I like that! Thanks!

spider87 said:
I was worried because it's my understanding that the yeast needs to run out of oxygen at some point and I was thinking that leaving a lot of head room would leave too much oxygen? Is that not the case?

Also, I hadn't thought of just making a stronger batch and adding the filler after the fact, I like that! Thanks!

The air gets displaced by CO2 in the primary. Fermentation creates it's own protective barrier. You do need to leave some room for the yeast party though.

Topping off with water is what a lot of extract brewers do. Look up partial boil. Happy to help. Just my opinion though, you'll find your own best way. Cheers!

Latest posts

Back