carbonation ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wesd25

Reaction score
I'm kegging a new for the first time and wondering what I should set the co2 pressure to if I want to "slow" or "naturally" carbonate the beer. It is a pale ale, 5 gal corny keg. Thanks for help!

I would set the temperature at 38-40F and set the psi to 10-12 and leave the kegs sit for a couple weeks on gas. If your tap lines are 6' or shorter, consider longer lines, like 10-12' of 3/16" id Bev line to reduce the risk of your next post being concerned about pouring foam only;)

There are a few methods to carb out there, but you'll always want to consult the charts when it comes to the final equilibrium pressure:

http://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php

And for what it's worth, CO2 in solution is CO2 in solution. It doesn't matter if it got there through keg conditioning, set-it-and-forget it, overnight blast, shaking, or whatever hybrid you come up with. The end product will all be the same. I wouldn't be concerned with trying to replicate "natural" carbonation.

That said, it's easy to over-carbonate using some methods. The one that works for me is to purge the keg, set the pressure to the desired level (as determined by the chart), and shake for roughly 20 minutes before throwing it in the kegerator. That won't get you all the way there, but it does shave about a week off the wait compared to set-it-and-forget it.

Back