Carbonation question for a first time brewer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robtivabin

Reaction score
So far for a first time brewer I am having and absolute blast, it really is a little easier then it sounds. Now on to my question. As a first time brewer I am a little fuzzy on the carbonation process. I understand how it works because I am a chef. What I don't understand is the different methods to carbonation. And by that I mean the instructions I followed for my Weizenbier from Brewers Best kit. It had me boil 2 cups of water and then add my priming sugar to the water and boil for 5 minutes. Then add that to my bottling bucket then start siphoning my brew into that mixture and stir gently for a minute. I've also seen recipe instructions call for you to add 3/4 teaspoon of sugar directly to the bottle before filling and then giving a gentle tilt back and forth to dissolve the sugar. Which method is better? is there one that is preferred by you seasoned brewer's that brings excellent results? Is it purely which method you'd prefer? Or should I simply stick to the directions like each LME kit calls for?

I am fairly new compared to some of the guys on this board but I prefer adding my priming sugar (whatever form it takes) to water, boil it to remove any critters, let it cool down, add it to the bottom of your bottling bucket, then rack your beer on top.

This plus a very gentle stir evenly distributes the sugar which is important for good carbonation. Also, make sure you place your bottles where the temp is close to 70 degrees for best results. It usually takes 2.5 to 3 weeks to carbonate...depending on your yeast.

Thanks for the post reply. The yeast I am using is just the simple sachet they give you in the Brewers Best LME kit. Once i get a good hand full of batches knocked out that are good I will consider using more complex yeasts like the liquid ones my home brew supplier was showing me, but for the time being I'll stick to the provided yeast. I've also read that 70 degrees is the ideal temp to allow your beer to carbonate at. My apartment is generally on the cooler side upper 60's mainly. At that temp it will take a little longer for the carbonation process to complete from what I am understanding. Will this affect the flavor of the beer, the coloring, and or make the beer turn out off in flavor? I have also read on other posts throughout the forums that taking my cases of already bottled beer and turning them upside down in the morning, then right side up like 12 hours later could also help the carbonation process. Is this all depending on the style beer or is this just an in general tip?

i prefer to bulk prime, that is adding all the sugar solution to the bucket and racking the beer on top. it allows you to get even carbonation throughout the batch, and the boiling of the priming solution ensures that the sugar is sterilized before it touches your beer.

Upper 60's is ok,but it will take another wek or two for an average gravity ale to carbonate. Conditioning,however takes a couple weeks longer in my experience. Many home brewers loose sight of this fact & just judge a beer by carbonation as to whether it's ready or not.
Conditioning always trails carbonation. I also prefer bulk priming to style with this calculator; http://http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html
I like to boil 2C of water in a small SS sauce pan,take it off the heat & stir in the priming sugar. Cover & allow to cool while I get things ready to rack over to the bottling bucket. Boiling water is far above the actual pasteurization temperature of 162F. So no need to boil the sugar.

When you refer to 'racking" on top. What exactly do you mean? Lol newb question im sure, but being this is my first batch im assuming you are talking about bottling. If that is the case is that a typical preferred method, i just set my bottles on a clean surface and use my bottling wand siphon set up.

unionrdr said:
Upper 60's is ok,but it will take another wek or two for an average gravity ale to carbonate. Conditioning,however takes a couple weeks longer in my experience. Many home brewers loose sight of this fact & just judge a beer by carbonation as to whether it's ready or not.
Conditioning always trails carbonation.

Thanks for the tip. I didn't plan on touching this beer for at min a month and a half, give or take 2-3 weeks for carbonation, and same amount to condition.

NordeastBrewer77 said:
i mean that after putting your priming solution in the bucket, trainer the beer using a siphon into that bucket. it'll mix in all the sugar.

Ahh ok that is exactly what i did. Thank you for your tips

To digress further,you "rack" or transfer the beer to the bottling bucket (in this case) with a tube from the spigot,or racking cane,or autosiphon. The out flow tube should wrap half way round the bottom of the bottling bucket so as to prevent oxidizing the fermented beer,& to induce some swirl after adding the priming solution.
Then a few gentle stirs at completion of racking to insure an even mix. Some say it isn't necessary,but I think it helps.

Once carbinated well do the bottles need to remain at 70 for the conditioning to be complete or can they finish conditioning in the fridge?

In my experience,beers will carbonate on average in 3 weeks. But conditioning of the flavors/aromas trails by 1 or 2 weeks. So 4-5 weeks total at 70F before at least a week in the fridge to get co2 from head space into solution. It's not a quick process to get right. I've found that 2 weeks fridge time gives thicker head & longer lasting carbonation. And clearer beer with the trub compacted more tightly on the bottom of the bottle.

Thanks for all the replies and useful information. Ill use what you've all said when i brew my next batch, but for now gotta sit back and wait for my bottles to carbonate and age.

Back