Carbonation Problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewfill

Reaction score
So I brewed a double IPA and everything was fine until I opened a bottle and there was no carbonation...it tastes fine but not a but of foam or any carbonation whatsoever. I am not that experienced, this is my 9th batch in total and all have come out very well but this one is confusing..I know I added the sugar...what could be wrong? And how do I fix it if there is a way? It has been 4 weeks since bottling and I have tried the beer twice...once at two weeks and once today...any advice?!?!? THANKS!!

If you're certain that you added the sugar, place the bottles some place warm 75-80F like the top of the fridge and give it a couple weeks.

Borrowed this from llazy llama:
chart.jpg

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

And just because a beer is carbed doesn't mean it still doesn't taste like a$$ and need more time for the off flavors to condition out.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience." ;)

Back