Carbonation issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jkalotai

Reaction score
So I keep it simple. 10-14 days in primary, racking at 1.010sg or so. I leave it for 2 weeks and then go to bottle. Here's where it gets strange. I've used dextrose, table sugar, and brown sugar to prime the bottles (on my 6th batch). I let these sit at room temp for 2weeks. My issue is that I get inconsistent carbonation. Some bottles carb up nicely others come out still. One I gave a friend was bomb-like. I use potassium metabisulfite to sanitize all equipment.

Using 1 gal AJ, 12oz FAJC, 1 cup Brown Sugar with a starting SG of 1.080

The finished product tastes great, nice ETOH level, but I like fizz.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I don't have an answer but I do have the same issue. I use starsan to sanitize.

I normally bottle some 12 oz and some bombers. I notice that the bombers tend to be more consistent.

So I keep it simple. 10-14 days in primary, racking at 1.010sg or so. I leave it for 2 weeks and then go to bottle. Here's where it gets strange. I've used dextrose, table sugar, and brown sugar to prime the bottles (on my 6th batch). I let these sit at room temp for 2weeks. My issue is that I get inconsistent carbonation. Some bottles carb up nicely others come out still. One I gave a friend was bomb-like. I use potassium metabisulfite to sanitize all equipment.

Using 1 gal AJ, 12oz FAJC, 1 cup Brown Sugar with a starting SG of 1.080

The finished product tastes great, nice ETOH level, but I like fizz.

What's the starting gravity? What yeast are you using?

How are you priming,and do you stir? I boil my priming sugar,added it to the beer,gently stir. I also let the beer sit for 20 minutes after stirring to let thing settle.

What's the starting gravity? What yeast are you using?

Funny I thought I addressed the gravity, look at the quote. As for yeast I've used Lalvin 1118 champagne yeast and Red Star Pasteur Champagne.

I don't boil the sugar. I've used carbonation drops, 1-2 per bottle depending on size. When using granulated sugars I shoot for 5gm per bottle. Cider is added, I cap, then swish every thing around to mix. I give it another good swirl 2days later to make sure it's mixed.

I'm guessing your drops are bad, and when you add the sugar its not mixed properly

I'd say your right but they worked fine in beer....but I stopped using the drops in favor straight sucrose long ago. My beer carbs up nicely, the cider not so much

When I carb, I add the sugar water to the bottling bucket first, then siphon in, with the hose at the bottom the whole time... I like to think this mixes it for me:)

Latest posts

Back