Carbonation Function

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wacki

Reaction score
So I keep reading that carbonation levels are a function of temperature, pressure, and time.

Every chart I see illustrates the limit of carbonation levels for a given pressure/temperature, assuming you give it time to equalize...

My question is either 1) where can I find a chart that shows the time variable?? Or 2) where can I find this function f(temp, pressure, time) so that I can estimate the carbonation levels when force carbing at higher pressure for short amounts of time??

I can't be the only nerd to want this stuff!! :)

Really I want to know what the carbonation level will be if I crank up the co2 to 30 psi for 24-48 hours, then tone it down to the equilibrium pressure per the charts I can find all over the web. Obviously the carbonation is accelerated, I just want to know how much...

Thanks for any input in advance!!

There are too many variables to be able to accurately estimate it the way you're describing. It's not linear, and varies not only based on pressure, temperature, and time, but also on SG, ABV, and surface area. The cracking pressure of your check valves will also play a role in how constant the headspace pressure is, which could also cause variations. Many people who burst carb like you're describing don't wait until the beer has chilled to serving temp to put the gas on, which introduces yet another variable.

I do know that with an average gravity beer chilled to 40°, I can get close to 2.5 vol by applying 30 psi at 40° for ~40 hours. I usually turn the pressure down at 36 hours to prevent overcarbing though. If I do the same thing starting with 65° beer I wait 48 hours to turn the pressure down.

Interesting, thanks for your input!! I understand it would not be a very easy or linear formula with lots of variables, but I'm a pretty mathy guy ;) and I thought I'd be able to model it, if for no other reason than to produce the same carbonation charts, for times = 12hr, 24, 36, 48hr, etc. I agree with all the assumptions you would have to make, but I think a generalization for an avg beer would suffice, the charts I'm referencing have a set of assumptions, we could also make similar ones as a base model for simplification.

Anyway, it was just a thought. Your input wrt your experience helps enough for right now :)

Back