Carbonation for my Pilsner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sky4meplease

Reaction score
I am bottling up an American Pilsner tomorrow that has been lagering at 40 degrees since the first of March.
After pulling a sample and viewing through my microscope there is no yeast left in suspension for carbonating my brew at least not as far down as I took the sample.
Should I suck up some of the less flocculant yeast laying in the bottom of my secondary fermentation vessel when transferring to the bottling bucket or add some yeast from the storage locker?
My gut tells me that for sanitation reasons I will just pull some from the secondary but I am curious what the brilliant minds here at HBTF would do.

I would have said there will be plenty of yeast in there and go ahead and bottle it...
But other than that I think some yeast from the secondary is your best bet.

In other news I'm jealous and want a microscope

Hahaha! Yeah the microscope is pretty cool. I bought it on eBay for $90.00 (thanks Woodlandbrew for all of your wisdom and guidance) to count cells and assess viability.
I have since found many other uses for it in my brewing processes such as confirming that I have enough cells for carbing up my brews and making sure my starters have cold crashed until all yeast have settled as opposed to decanting a bunch of healthy cells.
Thanks for the input everyone.

Back